PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I just received my order and here are some of my initial impressions. The tobacco is a brownish gold flake that is perfectly formed. It smells of raisins and figs and I do not detect any casing smell. I compared the look and smell of the flakes to others of that genre and they look very similar, but the smell is a bit different. I cube cut a flake and loaded a Rad Davis Dublin that I use for Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug and Wessex Gold Virginia Flake. Upon lighting I noticed a nice sweet flavor that is definitely different from many of my other flakes. The more I smoked the more that flavor became more pronounced and my lips became coated with sugars. This stuff burns perfectly as it came at the proper humidity, no drying necessary. I think it is going to age incredibly well. Towards the last third, the flavors just keep getting better, there is absolutely no bite. At the end of the bowl, the flavors just kept getting more intense and it burned to a fine ash with no dottle I will be smoking the Gold after dinner and will report back. Sp still has 760 tins left so they got a good amount in.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Glad to hear. Looks like mine will be here monday to try. Looking forward to hearing about the gold. Though I feel I'm gonna buy up some blue to cellar.

B

Jul 12, 2011
Cigrmaster-Just as I read your post I got my order of a few

tins and immediately popped a tin for a look, wow...your

description is "spot on" as always brother...might have to

have a late night smoke of this one tonight :)

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I got mine today, too. I think I know which one I'll start with.
Thanks Harris.
JJ

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My pleasure guys.
The first thing I noticed about the Gold is that it has a strong citrus backbone, totally unlike the Blue. It does have some nice sweetness, but it is not coating my lips like the Blue. The smoke feels a little thin where as the Blue was more meaty. The citrus is really coming through on this blend more so than any other Virginia I have smoked, it is interesting. I really should have tried this one as a first smoke of the day because it is milder than the other two bowls) Astleys 44 and the Blue) I smoked so far. I usually go up the strength ladder throughout the day. It is milder than the Blue. Towards the bottom the flavors stay about the same, they do not develop and get more intense like the Blue. It burns like the Blue in that it is a fine ash at the bottom with no dottle. It also had the perfect humidity right out of the tin. All in all it is a pretty good smoke but did not wow me like the Blue. To give it a better test I will smoke it first thing tomorrow with a fresh palate. It is possible though that it could be a keeper for deep cellaring as I am sure it will age nicely.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I'm not sure but I am thinking that Harris is actually a 'shill' for the pipe tobacco industry.
No sooner does he find a new pipe, a new blend, a new pipe cleaner or whatever, I'm off to go get the same thing.
C'mon Harris, what percentage do you get?
:):):):)
Now to be serious.
Harris (as well as many of you folks) have been enormous help in navigating the daunting world of pipes and pipe tobaccos. Without folks like him (and you) I'd be lost in the forest.
Allan

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Sp still has 760 tins left so they got a good amount in
So how much of that is for us after you put your order in for your cellar now that your testing is done? lol
I was waiting to see what the feedback was before I tool the plunge. Now I know I will throw in a few of the blue in my next order.

danz

Lurker
Jan 11, 2012
New Zealand
So is it still a pure Virginia? Or have Mac barren chopped and changed leaves to make it comparable to pure virginias of old?

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks for the scoop Harris. I thought these sounded like good flakes. Your review sells it. Your description of the Gold reminds me of Erinmore which has become one of my favorites. I'll have to do a half and half order of these two for sure.

Dec 24, 2012
I noticed a tin of the blue sells for $12.12 at SP for 1.75 ounces. That's fairly pricey for a Macbaren tin. Is it worth a couple bucks more than, say, Dunhill Flake?

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
peck - the old Euro Blue Capstan and a very old BC tin are fuller than DHF to me - somewhat different animal in my taste spectrum. I think of Rotary, Holger Dansk Navy Flake and F&T Vintage-Cut Virginia Plug as sharing similar character to BC.
hp

les

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Thanks, Harris. I'm off to give the Blue a try. My haul arrived last night. Sounds as if I made the right choice of getting some for the cellar of both blue and gold.
You and Roth are my heroes!
Sorry, Peck.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Allan, I wish I was on the payroll. lol
Sam, sorry but I did not order any 3 Nuns and am not going to. If they ever put the Perique back I will buy it but not as the bastardized version it is today.
bentmike, the Gold is nothing like Erinmore. To me Erinmore is sickly sweet and heavily cased, the Gold is much more natural flavors. I got no citrus from Erinmore the few times I smoked it.
Eagle, I originally ordered 10 of the Blue and 1 gold. During my smoking of the Blue, I ordered another 35 tins, and then checked to see how many they had left. I will order some Gold today and keep loading up on the Blue.
I am smoking the Gold right now and it is definitely a nice morning smoke. It is similar though to Dunhill flake, F&T CVP, Wessex Gold. The citrus is still very nice and it is what distinguishes it from the above mentioned. In terms of bang for the buck if you buy 25 the price comes down to 10.90. Now for me it is different enough from the Dunhill flake to cellar even though it is more costly. To me it tastes nothing like Orlik GS, it does not have that heavy grassy component which is a good thing for my tastes.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Harris: I know this probably has been asked before, but will you be taking the Blue Capstan and the Gold out of their tins and then jarring them? Is that the best thing to do?
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.