PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmannk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2014
I have a question about the new C&D Cellar Series on SP. I read the description. Have ever,I a m lost as usual. When talking about the clearer recomendations on the descriptions it gives a year range. Is that for consumers to cellar or has it already been cellared?
Thanks for the help and as always looking to broaden my knowledge and experiences..
Bryan

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
ildm - at Chicago, the C&D folks explained the concept was these blends were formulated with aging in mind - kind of like buying fine French Bordeaux red wines to lay down in the cellar, as opposed for immediate drinking.
hp

les

oldmannk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2014
Les they talk about the peek time. Do you know what would be the minimal time it would have to be cellared. To get the most out of the tobacco. Just a thought.

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
Les they talk about the peek time. Do you know what would be the minimal time it would have to be cellared. To get the most out of the tobacco. Just a thought.
It's very smokable right now. C&D made it and put it away for a few weeks, so it already has a little age on it. In general, though, benchmarking against similar C&D blends, they'll change a lot in the first year and more slowly after that. The only real difference with these is that they were made with how they would mature in the tin in mind, rather than thinking just about how it is right out of the tin. They're great now. They'll be awesome in a few years.
Sykes

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I plan to purchase 2 tins of each.
Smoke one "fresh" and age the other one for at least 3 years.
If the one with age on it is clearly better, I will purchase more.

macattack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2012
I'll get at least 4 of each. Great premise. I should probably try them fresh first to see if I like them but that just wouldn't be my style.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
I bought a pipe, (or something else as I can't recall), and received a tin of Balkan Sobranie. I am not sure if I will ever smoke it. Why?
I only have one tin of it, and it doesn't seem to be available anywhere else I look for it.
It is supposed to age very well, so it has gone into the cellar.
There are plenty of knock off varieties around that come, according to those in the know, to 75% and higher of the original in terms of how it smokes. Sasieni, Whiteknight, etc.
So, my son or some guy in a garage sale will likely end up with it. Not feeling all that compelled to smoke it, but there is some back issue in my mind as that it should be saved for some purpose.
I do have a couple tins of Sasieni that are at about 1 year now, and the stuff that was 5 months old was afar better smoke than fresh. May pop one of them open soon. Have a tin of Escudo that is working on 3+ years, but that one is promised to myself and my son when he finally quits the Navy.
In any case, not sure what the appeal of a tin of tobacco would be if it was specifically blended to be aged. I understand aging, obviously, but this one throws me a bit. However, as a marketing effort, it rates A+. As in "create a need, and then fill it."

Dec 24, 2012
In any case, not sure what the appeal of a tin of tobacco would be if it was specifically blended to be aged.
It is no different than wines that are designed to be aged. Just because they are designed to transmogrify with age does not mean they cannot be drunk when young. The personal preference of the drinker is what matters. Do you prefer your wines young, with aggressive tannins, and more straight forward fruit flavors? Or are you someone who appreciates an aged, mature wine, with softer tannins and secondary aromas and flavors, such as muted red fruits, tobacco, forest floor, spice box, cedar, and leather?
I would imagine there is an analogous explanation for tobacco.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
These peaked my curiosity, I'll be getting some tins. I think it would be a mistake to think you need to age them. Cellar some and try it at different ages. To do that to whiskey, you have to work at the distillery. With a product like this, you get the full experience.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Not sure what forest floor tastes like.
I no longer drink, but I enjoyed whiskey off the shelf. Mid priced stuff. Makers Mark, for example.
I likliked sipping it neat. Enjoyed the taste, don't recall analyzing that much on component tastes. But some do, I assume.
I am cellaring blends I enjoy. If I was that enthusiastic about creating a blend that was truly meant as a long future project, I would create it on pipesandcigars , based upon blender advice to my own specific desires not a mass market endeavor. I already have plenty of that in my cellar.
But YMMV.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
If Chenet's Cake is too forest floor, I may have some up for trade but I'm going to give it a shot first. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.