The Name is Tobacco But You Can Call Me....

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
Here at Pipesmagazine Forum the collective sum of years of smoking pipe experience must be well into the centuries. When faced with a question there are few more qualified places to bring it. People's pipe smoking processes can be fundamentally changed through the provided answers to important questions. This is not such a question.
Am I the only one irked by the use of the word "Baccy"? Do you, dear reader, use the term? Is there a certain region of the world more likely to use it? Perhaps it's generational? It seems to me that many people with less that a year smoking gravitate to the term over assuming its "cool kid" daily use. Do you feel similarly? Do my soft assumptions irk you? Let's chat.
j/B

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I usually do not use the term but I might when talking to another pipe smoker.
I first heard the term when I read Lewis's "Voyage of the Dawn Treader" so many years ago.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Allow me to simplify this for everyone.
The only socially acceptable term is recreational nicotine.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I was born in 1942 in a small town in the foot hill of the mountains in N.Carolina.It was farm country.Almost every farmer included tobacco in what they grew.They sold it each year to get money for things they couldn't grow..For some it was all the money they got all year.Honest hard working folks.They almost called it Baccy.That was a long time ago.I seldom hear it used these days.When I do hear it it reminds me of a long past culture.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Baccy's fine, but terms like hobby and community sound too much like euphemisms to cover shame for being a tobacco user.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
When I read Baccy here, for some reason, it reminds me of the actor Walter Brennan. A regular in the old classic movies.
I've never heard it used in conversation with anyone in my own personal experience.
I don't consider smoking a pipe a hobby either.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The term can be a pseudo folksy cliche. If someone says it because they grew up hearing it, it doesn't annoy me.

Jan 8, 2013
I don't see any reason why it would annoy anyway. Tobacco has had may different nicknames over the centuries. Smoke it, whatever you prefer to call it, and be happy.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
So, I hadn't read this thread till just now, but earlier I was out on my porch with a contemplative bowl of a mix of blends I like and thinking about influences.

We always think about our Grandfathers, Fathers, Uncles, neighbors or the guy at the newsstand when we think of pipe smokers we might be emulating now.

I thought about Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. I thought about that first taste of 'independence' and step toward the idylls of the pipe while reading Mr. Clemens.

I always enjoy my cob(s) and baccy.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Baccy's fine, but terms like hobby and community sound too much like euphemisms to cover shame for being a tobacco user.
The one that gets me is 'piper' or 'piping'. I think people started saying this because they didn't want to refer to themselves as a smoker. But I'm pretty sure if you look in the dictionary, this is a piper:
Scottish-bagpipe-1024x682.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
On reflection, I bet I have used 'baccy several times on Forums, just because I have used the words tobacco, leaf, or blends so often, I thought I'd give the reader a rest. Clearly, some don't like that. After this thread, if I use 'baccy, I'm probably pulling your chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.