PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I don't know if any others do this.
When I take tobacco from a tin, jar or bag to pack a pipe, sometimes there is excess left over. I never want to return it to the container it came from, so I dump it into a jar labeled MUTT which contains all the extras, spills and a few pinches here and there from the dead-ends of tins.
While I won't write home about what a great blend it is, sometimes it's enjoyable to load a pipe from this mixture and wonder what the heck is actually in there. Occasionally it produces great bowls, never truly disappointing ones.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Sounds more like a Statue of Liberty blend:
"Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses of tobacco remnants yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming tins.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, to yet be smoked again

I lift my match above the golden bowl!"

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
Yes, mine is called "Leftover Blend" made by some of the finest and not so fine blenders in the world. I feel it is a wonderful blend, my wife suspects it must an acquired taste lol.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Well, if I actually did that sort of thing I certainly wouldn't own up to it on a public forum. It would ruin my image. :wink:
Oops, forgot, it was ruined years ago. So... nevermind. :oops:

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I do this as well... Not sure why as I've never smoked it nor do I really plan to. I suppose if shit ever hit the fan it would be what I would smoke when the rest of my cellar was out. Oh and I don't name it, it's just a jar of scraps

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
Mine has tobacco I've disliked, including some OTC blends, so I don't dip into it much. It's a goopy biter. If I have less than a bowl's worth of good stuff, I mix it with something else I like.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Saw this parallel topic where the term is "Toaster Leavins."
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/your-own-strange-mixtures-toaster-leavins
I like that, too.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Pipes and Cigars actually sells something like this. They throw the scraps into a bin and then sell it off under the name "Best of the Rest" or something like that.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
I've named mine "Frankenblend". It has partial tins/pouches of blends I didn't like and some bottom of the tin stuff in it. It's..... horrible.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I've been dumping leftovers in a mason jar since I read about the idea on the forum several years ago.
I have no intention of smoking it, but it is just a sin to throw out good tobacco...

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
"If I have less than a bowl's worth of good stuff, I mix it with something else I like."
I figured something like this would be more the norm. I'd just smoke a partial bowl myself.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I like having the jar around for days when I am too tired to figure out what to smoke, and would click a "Surprise me!" button if I could. It's also good for days where I am in a place to smoke a lot, but distracted from what I am doing enough that an old favorite would be overkill.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
It's called a pension blend
Been retired and living on a pension for ten years now which really tightens up spending drastically. Although I've become a tad more frugal over the years I've never bothered to save any remnants of tobacco and mix them with other remnants and it's highly unlikely that I'll ever bother to do so. There are stories of some who actually would save the dottle and toss it in a jar to dry out a bit so that it could be smoked later. If one feels the need to go to that extreme to save a few pennies on something that is, for all practical purposes, worthless and tasteless crap they should more likely than not even be smoking a pipe in the first place.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I have no intention of smoking it, but it is just a sin to throw out good tobacco...
Bingo!
I have started looking around for something I think it will mix well with that I have already opened. It has worked out pretty well lately.

But I will not be smoking the left "overs jar" until desperation sets in.

Status
Not open for further replies.