PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Speaking of music, John Wetton died today, another icon of the music I grew up with. If that names doesn’t immediately strike a chord with you:
John Wetton was an English singer, bassist, and songwriter who rose to fame with the bands King Crimson, Roxy Music, Uriah Heep, and Wishbone Ash. After his period with King Crimson, Wetton formed UK, and later he was the frontman and principal songwriter of the supergroup Asia. Their self-titled debut album sold eight million copies worldwide and was Billboard magazine's No. 1 album of 1982. He later formed the duo Icon with Geoff Downes (ex-Yes, ex-Buggles), and since the 1990s had a successful solo career releasing a large number of studio and live albums.
Wetton had a long career as an in-demand session bass player, and collaborated with many members of progressive rock bands such as Yes (including Steve Howe, Bill Bruford, Geoff Downes, Alan White, Billy Sherwood and Peter Banks), Roxy Music and Bryan Ferry, and Genesis (Steve Hackett).
John passed away in his sleep.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Listening to Roxy Music right now. As a bass player I have always admired him....even though I never really cared for Asia.
His work with King Crimson and Roxy was awesome.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Man, another era gone. How much longer till it's someone else, Phil? .... But Seriously. Hearing them transports me years back to traveling country roads in an old car.
Hey, Jeff, what kind of gear you play on?

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
The band 'UK' is often sadly overlooked---- I came upon them by accident in the late '70's and have original pressings of both of their albums: 'UK,' and 'Danger Money.' Powerful. It was everything to be that the later band Asia was promised and marketed to be but fell short of-- epic music by a tour de force of top top musicians. Check out the album: 'UK' and see if you do not agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.