PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
I don't have a favorite tobacco. And if I had to choose one, I'd probably select Gaslight. But the more I smoke other tobaccos, the more I enjoy coming back to Semois.
I'm one of those people who enjoys the unique aroma and flavor. And it's a great smoke during the colder months.
I'm breaking in a new Castello. And I appreciate that the bowl doesn't have a pre-carb. But that does make the break-in time a bit longer. Semois is a perfect tobacco for breaking in this pipe:

It's dry right out of the mason jar

Packs tight

Easy to light and stays lit

Smokes cool if not rushed

No ghosting
I guess I could say that the more I smoke tobaccos, the more I enjoy Burleys. And though Semois is technically a Burley cousin, to my palate it still falls in the same genre...more or less.
Along with Gaslight, Pirate Kake, Aged Burley Flake, and Solani Silver Flake, Semois is a perfect winter smoke for me.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Semois is unique. Pretty stout too. Unfortunately, due to my passionate ( read "fast and furious" ) smoking style, it bites me like an angry ferret.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Semois isn't everyone's style. I received a sample of Semois from a Forums member who liked it, and a whole package,

along with a second tin of tobacco and a great estate pipe, from another member. The whole package came from an

experienced pipe smoker who didn't like it at all. But I really like Semois. It is more or less a single leaf tobacco, but

to me, it smokes like an elegant blend. It has levels and dimensions. I find it works especially well in a larger bowl

pipe. I get no bite from it at all, even when I smoke it fairly intensely. Burley and its kin doesn't come across for everyone,

either has little flavor or a bad flavor, but I like many non-aro burley blends such as those from Cornell & Diehl, but

Semois is its own experience. I'm not sure my taste for it is season-specific. I think it will be just as tasty in warmer

months. It doesn't come across to me as particularly heavy nor strong on nicotine. Great tobacco for those who enjoy it.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
Semois is unique. Pretty stout too. Unfortunately, due to my passionate ( read "fast and furious" ) smoking style, it bites me like an angry ferret
This is a tobacco that you're kind of tempted to smoke fast anyway, as it's quite dry and burns very quickly. I'm finding that the slower and cooler I smoke this one, the better it is. I don't consider Semois a quick smoke any more, though I can see how others might. And yes, smoking this one hot could bring on quite a bit of bite.

Oct 12, 2014
" it smokes like an elegant blend. It has levels and dimensions"
It really does. Sip it very slowly and you can coax some great flavors out. Good Stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.