PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hyperstar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2022
Formosa, Taiwan
Title edited for caps. Please see Rule 9.

I was a The lord of the ring fan back in college.
Everytime I see Gandalf smoking his pipe. I was like "Man, That's so cool!"
So, two of my classmates and I purchased pipes on Ebay. We did the smoking together through our college days.
It has been ten years. I'm the only one who still smoking pipes.
It has helped me get through so many rough nights. Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I'm also a huge fan of the LOTR, and that may have had a lot to do with me starting smoking a pipe. But I was browsing the internet one day in 2012 I believe, when I saw an ad for pipesandcigars.com. And that was that. I'm going to try it, I told myself. Never looked back. Impulse buy that changed my life forever.

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
Having seen Bing Crosby, Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce smoke pipes in old movies, I decided, as a sophomore in college in 1968, to try smoking a pipe. I bought a Champion Swiss Made sandblast saddle billiard for $10 in a cigar store, and also purchased a pouch of Middleton's Cherry Blend. I was immediately hooked. Soon after, I discovered Balkan Sobranie in a tin, and the rest is history.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I worked at a jewelry store after class and across the street was Copley's Tobaccos, one of the premiere tobacconists in the city, with a national reputation and clientele.

I used to by my cigs from them, eventually graduating to fine Sobranie made cigarettes, like Chaliapin. But the scent of the pipe tobaccos they blended was intoxicating and eventually I asked Mr Copley about pipe smoking. He fixed me up with a couple of pipes at cost, since I worked across the street and he was a customer of our store, and some different tobaccos to sample.

That was the beginning of the end.

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
In college I smoked a cigar every so often with friends. After college a friend started smoking a pipe and it intrigued me. So I picked up a Dr. Grabow Pipe and Captain Black Tobacco (no pipe cleaners or a tamper) and smoked one day with him. It was awful. Truly horrible. But I did not want to give up, as the whole hobby and concept intrigued me. So I kept working at it for years, until I realized I needed a slightly better pipe and better tobacco. And I finally crossed paths with a pipe expert at a brick and mortar who guided me to english blends.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Both grandfathers smoked pipes. When I was about 10, I took some of my paper route money to the Ben Franklin five and dime. Bought a cob and a pouch of Prince Albert. Puffed it like a freight train up a steep grade. Burned the hell outta my tongue! Of course that was back in the day when it was ok for 10 year old to buy stuff like that?

bayuvarian

Lurker
Jun 21, 2022
Germany, Bavaria, near Munich
It was during my university time. Everybody downloaded movies in that time (you may remember eMule etc.) and we had "cinema nights" basically every night, where we watched bad quality ripped movies on our 17'' monitors. We once made a Western themed night and I got curious about smoking cigars as all the actors did. It didn't take long time and I also bought a pipe. That one is still in use...

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
I was also in college and was buying cigars occasionally but wanted to try a pipe as the smell was incredible and the tobacco was cheaper then a cigar. Soon afterworlds my friend saw my pipe and we were smoking pipea together the weekend at his apartment as I was living at home at the time and my mom didn’t want me smoking at home. They dropped off after college After a brief hiatus I picked it back up agian in the mid 2000s and been casually puffing away since.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
My band mates and I would share a pipe after our practice once or twice a week. This would have been when we were 19 or so, and cigars became to expensive. By share, I literally mean share the same pipe. Now that I think of it, maybe we transitioned from cigars to pipes because the stem wouldn’t get as soggy.