PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Ok, I decided to try this stuff, Sutliff's Molto Dulce they call it. Mostly because some folks on here spoke highly of it.

I popped the tin and the tobacco? smelled like ...well...an aromatic. Fruitcake or pancakes or some kind of cakey dessert. Overly sweet to say the least. But what surprised me most was how wet it was, In fact it was sopped. I laid it on some paper towels, I had to wash my hands to get this oily/filmy slop off and came back to it later ( about 45 minutes) The paper towel was wet and brown stained - and the tobacco? was still wet as hell. I let it sit overnight and the next day it was just as wet. First thought : loaded with PG. I've never seen a tobacco this saturated in my 45 plus years of smoking. I was honestly afraid to smoke this --- tobacco? Was it heavily cased/sauced so badly and/or was it heavily laced with PG? Or maybe someone dropped it (accidently or on purpose) in used 10-30 motor oil at the factory?

Anyway I decided to smoke some and grabbed a brand new MM cob because i knew this tobacco? would ghost the crap out of a pipe. I packed it lightly to avoid it gooping up. I fired it up and puffed a bit. Lots of odd looking rainbow colored smoke and super heavy on the "aromatic" side. Zero tobacco flavor. First impression? WTF.

Despite the taste, i carried on. Re-light. Then it came. Crackles, pops and sizzles - like I was cooking freaking bacon. It continued as I puffed. My second impression ? WTF. I couldn't help but squint my eyes and shake my head in disgust. I then got that old familiar slimy/oily sweet taste/feeling in my mouth so typical of you know what. PG. Propylene Glycol, a humectant used to keep tobacco moist. Or in this case - SWSS (sopping wet sweet slime) I personally hate the stuff. And this was horrid.

For some odd reason, I carried on anyways - as I really wanted to like this stuff (whatever it was). The "cracking Rosie get on board" sounds coming out of my newly tortured MM corncob got the attention of my lady-friend. She's like, " What the heck are you smoking, Darlin'?" I didn't even look at her, I sighed and slowly set the pipe down like it was a grenade with the pin pulled out. I made sure to set it far away from anything that was living (my dog, houseplants, etc). I finally answered her, " I have no effin clue...it's supposed to be pipe tobacco." She just gave me a funny look with her eyebrows popped up and walked off shaking her head.

I just couldn't do it anymore, I couldn't finish the bowl and I had to get the PG taste out of my mouth, off my mustache and off my dang hands. The shit was possessed and there was no priests close by to perform an exorcism on this stuff. Last impression? WTF.

All in all, this blend went to the bottom of my list as the all-time worst blend I've ever smoked, over taking Paladin Cherry. The open tin is now resting on the toilet tank in the bathroom - as the little lady likes the tin smell. I'm curious to see if this stuff will ever dry out or maybe it'll grow devil horns. Personally i wanted to call Haz-Mat and have it disposed of properly.

Not to be a one-sided review, maybe- just maybe I got a "bad" tin.

OTOH if it ever dries out maybe I'll try mixing it with something to water it down. Maybe put a pinch of it i with some FVF or a straight burley. Then again, maybe not.

In final summary? WTF.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think it could be an acquired taste, but I had fun trying it. You smoke the flavor and the tobacco is just a carrier as far as I could tell. Thank you to the member who shared a generous sample with me. I like tobacco forward aromatics, and am partial to non-aromatic over those. For flavoring I enjoy rum, bourbon, Irish whiskey, liqueurs, light vanilla, and anisette in sparing quantity. Dry it out as well as possible, before lighting, if you decide to smoke it again.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I mostly enjoyed the sample I got from a generous forum friend. I've never re-visited it though, because it's just not what I'm looking for in a smoking experience. The never-drying nature of the tobacco and snap, crackle and pop sounds while smoking it sure were alarming!

It's kind of like the thousand island chili cheese fries from Wienerschnitzel... Is it goopy and gross? Well, yeah. Is it tasty? Kinda!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
At least it's a blend you remember smoking. You don't say, I think I may have tried it in the past. You know for sure. Mostly I don't like food or strongly sweet flavors in blends, other than the ones I already listed.

Reactions: kola and danimalia

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I think this is the same stuff, basically, as Sutliff Creme Brulee...if I want to smoke "Tobacco", I am not reaching for this blend..however...I really like it, aside from the Rice Krispie noises.

That said, I could absolutely see how this blend would be cringe for a lot of folks on this forum.

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
My experience very closely mirrors yours. I gave the rest of the tin away. A goopy, sloppy mess that sizzled in the bowl, and was overly sweet. Not the worst tobacco I've ever tried, but not anything I want to repeat, that's for sure.

Reactions: danimalia

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
No that's a pretty accurate experience lol. I like to load some up every now and then the same way I like nasty mcdonalds when I'm hungover. If I'm going to be gross, I'm going to do it right.

That said, I actually enjoy the aromatic flavors I get from Sutliff's Creme Brulee--a slightly less topped version of MD.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I guess I have to go against the general stream here. I only just started into aro's about two months ago and bought a tin of this. Bottom line, I love it. I ordered two more tins. On my favorite aro list.
I don't even try to let it dry, pack a bowl lightly and then it smokes great. I get all the flavors and notes that Sutliff claims it has. A great aro IMHO.
Now I've got mason jars full of aros. Sutliff, 4noggins, GH and today I ordered 3 tins of Cult Blood Red Moon,
Can't wait to try that.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Ray, I don't know if you have ever been through Alberta; but if you ever come this way stop in. Be happy to let you put your feet up, share a beverage of choice, and share a bowl and swap stories out on the back deck. I'm sure I have something in my meager cellar that you would enjoy.
Have a great evening brother. Enjoy a bowl or two of your favorite tobaccos.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
My idea of a nice aro blend is GLP Haddos Delight. Just a hint of caramel and cocoa? But still tasting real tobacco. And "snap- crackle - pop- free." Heck I even like the old extinct John Middletons Cherry Blend ( which I still have some) but this stuff, Molto Barf, is just not a blend for me. Kudos to those that enjoy it. BTW, I threw the MM cob in the firepit. Along with the tobacco. RIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.