PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
See, this is where those conspiracy morons were wrong on the burning of jet fuel and the World Trade Tower. They Googled the combustion of the fuel and they didn't even understand what that meant. Probably on average, once the tobacco is going with gentle sips, it probably stays at about 600ish.
my favorite is when they act like it means something that other buildings haven't been burned like that. You know because they just give you plane or 100 to do random destructive experiments with. And also ignores that all buildings aren't built the same either.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
A gentle wind or an open window in a car can create an opportunity for heat to move toward a spot on the briar being cooled by the cooler air. This will create a burnout as well. I went through a few pipes, all burned on the side of the open window on my drivers side. Simple physics. Now, I don’t smoke in the car Problem solved.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
I woul like to suggest that whilst tobacco burns wood often chars. Once charred it is very resistant to further combustion. So maybe that's the secret of wood pipes

Reactions: elvishrunes

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A gentle wind or an open window in a car can create an opportunity for heat to move toward a spot on the briar being cooled by the cooler air. This will create a burnout as well. I went through a few pipes, all burned on the side of the open window on my drivers side. Simple physics. Now, I don’t smoke in the car Problem solved.
I always smoke in the car and never have come close to a problem. But then if I am rolling along at 70 for any length of time, I'll probably close the driver's side window.

And not had a problem with any wind, gentle or howling. I just clap a book of matches or my hand over the rim to keep the ember from overheating.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Respectfully, briar doesn't have a higher combustion temperature, that I am aware of. I haven't done any tests myself. But, regardless, I think the reason that briar caught on was more for its aromatic qualities. The smell of slightly warmed briar complements the tobacco very well. Whereas oak or cherry would stand out as being so different that it would be distracting. As it is, I don't think many pipesmokers even notice the aromas of the briar as it is talked about so little on here. But, when smoked in meerschaum or a clay, the tobacco just doesn't have the pipe-y smell, as it lacks the essential aromas given off by the briar.
In a meer it smells like a tidepool

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've smoked during my commute everyday since the early '90s and have never had a burnout.

TimeKiller

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2021
Texas
So I read that the briar burls come from fungal tumors on white heath roots? Is that correct?

1619124633197.png

Attachments

• 1619125125134.png
    1619125125134.png
    306.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited: