PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
I know that some blends stop being nice after half the bowl...
HOWEVER...
It does seem that it's maybe mostly my fault.

I've been learning to enjoy lots of new blends recently, but somehow, regardless of the great flavours I get in the beginning and how awesome the blend is in the beginning of the bowl, after 15-20 minutes, let's say half the bowl, it's doesn't taste good anymore.

It feels hotter, it feels ashy, it doesn't taste good. And that's it for the rest of the bowl.

I've tried to let it sit for a while and get back at it an hour later but although it's a little better, it doesn't last longer than a few puffs.
The question is: is it possible that I am ruining all my bowls by my sipping speed?

I'm gonna be honest, I've been working on sipping extremely slow for months, I don't think I can sipping slower. However, when one walk or talks, one might not always be conscious of ones breathing and sipping rhythm.

I've noted that the circumstances when I smoke a biowl strongly influence the result:

1) alone, on a bench, no phone, maybe just music. Bowl can be really good all through, regardless of the rampant boredom.

2) same but walking, almost same result. Great bowl, mind is focused on the smoke.

3) same, with a phone, reading stuff walking or sitting, mind busy, I wont enjoy it as much.

4) working, talking with friends, being actually busy doing something else. Great beginning, but after some time, not good anymore.
As anyone felt the same? Being busy kind of spoils the fun and actually ruins the bowl.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
When busy, the bowl is enjoyed fully only intermittently, but it provides the kind of refreshment that a quick blast of enjoyment can.
I wonder if varying packing technique changes what is happening. I learned a lot from packing Semois. I achieved a more uniform compression, tapering at the bottom, that seemed to preserve flavor longer. I know that some prefer dry tobacco for this reason.

Jan 8, 2013
I'm at a loss. I recall you mentioning this problem before? And I would have guessed you were smoking too hot, sipping too fast. Try drying your tobacco a bit more, and packing a little looser.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I'd say, as has been pointed out, try different packing and dumping the ashes more often. These two things greatly improved my smokes. I smoke like a steam train. Also, try some straight virginias. I can go to the bottom of the bowl with no harsh or nasty taste now, leaving a fine white ash. OK that last bit about the ash was BS, but the rest is true. Good luck.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Oh yeah, don't forget to keep your bowls clean and let them rest a day or so between smokes. Lat blends tend to need more pipe upkeep in my experience.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I also dump ash. Leave enough to insulate the leaf BBQ below, but anything loose can usually go. Then tamp lightly and give it the flame.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
anyone felt the same? Being busy kind of spoils the fun and actually ruins the bowl.
My best smokes the ones when I have nothing to do but sit and smoke. Like others have said, dump ash, stir or poke and relight

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
If it tastes bad dump it. This could be due to any number of factors; you, your pipe, your tobacco, the environment or any combination thereof...or none at all. That said, when I've observed this issue it's usually related to moisture. A pipe cleaner and a slower cadence usually ameliorate the problem.
If you're already keeping things dry and slow and only half your bowl taste good, you might try only smoking a half bowl. Try the air-pocket technique (aka cannonball). Essentially, take a wad of tobacco and cram it in to your bowl so that it will suspend itself in the upper half of the bowl. If the draw feels overly constricted remove the tobacco and reload with less.
This is my preferred pack method asI find most blends seem to smoke with a higher degree of clarity this way.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Wonder if using a screen would actually help create a drier smoke if ya keep a bit of distance between the heel and the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.