PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Received my first meerschaum pipe at Christmas, a Servi Meerschaum lattice. Smoked absolutely wonderful, dry, and cool. Was enjoying a bowl of Stonehaven in it on New Years Eve when I felt and heard a small pop. Much to my dismay, there was a noticeable web of cracks down both the shank and around the bowl. I plan to bring this to the B&M and see what they'll recommend (I've been a customer for 22 years).
I have two questions:

1. Is there any way to repair this?

2. Is this not uncommon with meerschaum pipes, or did I get a fluke?

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
My brother bought a Meer off of eBay, very nice looking bearded man. The pipe smoked fine for the first 3 bowls then cracked/broke at the shank during another smoke. My guess is it was pressed meerschaum and not a solid block, and he probably smoked too fast and made that bowl hotter than Hades. Regardless, I don't think it should ever happen, but I don't have a ton of experience either.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Postimage; Dropbox, etc. Photobucket), or on virtually any site, including this site's album such as eBay, Amazon, you-name-it, select the full sized image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose "copy image location" or similar words. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg or .png) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.
The site's album is also a good choice for displaying photos, and the same method works for obtaining the image's URL for copying into the IMG box.
There are other good illustrations and steps on how to post photos in the "Latest Discussions" box,

LINK to that thread

jeff540

Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Just took it out of the case, and while the cracks aren't as wide they are still evident.
I'm not the best photographer, but here goes:

1. back of bowl, begins in center at rim and extends downward

img_4471-600x450.jpg

2. Top of shank

img_4466-600x450.jpg

3. Bottom of pipe, then crack goes up front of pipe and spider webs across (no photo of that)

img_4469-600x450.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
Hard to see, but it looks like the crack travels from the rim all the way down to the shank. And to the left of that looks like a wider crack. Was it extremely cold where you were smoking? Were you smoking it too fast and hot? I don't see how that can be repaired, but perhaps one of the meerschaum experts might have a solution.

jeff540

Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Haha, crack pipe!!
I never dropped it, but it came from B&M and had been in the display case a while (several months).
I was sitting on the couch on New Years Eve, not cold (near the wood stove). Nor was it smoking hot, rather cool to the touch.

Jan 8, 2013
I was sitting on the couch on New Years Eve, not cold (near the wood stove). Nor was it smoking hot, rather cool to the touch.
That confirms my suspicion. Pipezeus, the god of pipes and sad puppies (he likes sad puppies), smote your pipe with a lightning bolt from his arse. That's the only possible explanation.

upnorth1

Oct 7, 2017
La Belle Province, Canada
That really sucks! It does make you wonder if it was ever dropped and just needed a coax to crack open. I wonder what else could effect length and placement of the crack like that?

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
That should definitely not happen, and either you were smoking it to hot, or its possible it got damaged in shipping and/or was dropped. Were you by chance smoking the pipe outside in really cold temps?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I saw a YouTube video of a guy carving a raw block of meerschaum, and in the commentary it was mentioned that the carver needed to find and work around internal flaws -- which makes carving a large block challenging.
I bought a Tekin meer from SP.com that, on the 2nd or 3rd bowl, started to develop a hairline crack on the rim. SP.com accepted the return and gave me a store credit for the purchase price.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Upon reflection, I rued the decision to return the pipe, because it might have "hung together" long enough to color like this Baki pipe:

marbled-meerschaum.jpg

You just never know what Mother Nature will do...

leafsmoker

Can't Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Indiana, USA
Sorry to hear about your pipe.My only thought was you were smoking when it was cold or smoked too fast and too hot.You have stated that you did neither,so It is a mystery now. BTW Nice photo cortez!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I missed the comment where you stated you were inside and not smoking hot. It could have just been a flaw in the meerschaum that developed after the pipe reached a certain temp. If your B&M shop won't accept a return then try contacting the Meerschaum Market. Servi is a owner/operator of the Meerschaum Market website and he's a very nice guy. Though the pipe may not have been purchased from him, since it is a pipe he carved; he may offer to assist you in exchanging the pipe. Worst case scenario is he declines to offer assistance. Good luck!

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
The one meer I've carved from a solid block was flawless- until I took it and dipped it into hot beeswax to finish it without preheating it first. The thermal shock caused a minor crack in the bowl...and now it's my favorite shop pipe. Hopefully one of the guys who deals with meers all the time will weigh in on this post- it doesn't seem normal that a finished pipe should crack that severely just from smoking it....

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Pipezeus, the god of pipes and sad puppies (he likes sad puppies), smote your pipe with a lightning bolt f
Well, the boy's been at the cleaning fluid again. Then again, that explanation is as good as any other, so who am I to say? [hic] Pass the jug again, anthony, & stop hogging it all the time. :)
Seriously, that really is a shame, & A Xmas pipe to boot. :( Wish I could offer more than sympathy, but I think the good advice above will hopefully work. Reminds me I've been incredibly lucky with my meers, knock wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.