PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Soak the slices in saltwater for at least an hour prior to prep.

Such a simple step, yet so tragically neglected, relegating otherwise fine slices of eggplant to perpetual bitterness. Back when I could eat in restaurants without becoming violently ill (curse Monsanto and their wicked glyphosate!), I would occasionally sample this dish, in the hope that it would not, to put it bluntly, taste like crap. Most of the time, I was inevitably disappointed (I feel like this is my eternal catchphrase now). However, for the once-in-a-blue-moon time that I would be blessed with the distinctive taste of what I call Sicilian Ambrosia, the dish became one of my overall favorites. When I met my wife-to-be, I insisted that she strictly adhere to the soaking method referenced above, without exception. The result? Perfect eggplant parm each time, and even if the eggplant itself happened to be subpar, the total absence of bitterness made it at least moderately enjoyable at the very worst. So what do I do?

Prepare a large mixing bowl with warm water. Add 1-2 tablespoons salt (don't use fancy salt for this, just cheap stuff, like Morton brand table salt) into the water, stirring to dissolve. Take one medium eggplant, peel, and slice into 1/2 inch or less thick rounds. Soak slices in the bowl for at least one hour. You may need a smaller bowl or a plate to weigh down the slices, as they will float. The key is to keep all the slices completely submerged. When you drain the slices, the discarded water should have a disgusting brown hue. This is the removed bitterness you would have otherwise consumed! Preheat oven to 400F. In a small bowl, mix together a half cup of bread crumbs, a quarter cup shredded Parmesan cheese, a quarter teaspoon of dried basil or Italian seasoning, and a pinch of garlic powder. In a separate small bowl, beat one large egg. Dip each eggplant slice in beaten egg, then in the bread crumb mixture, arranging each completed slice on a large, generously greased baking sheet. Bake 15 mins. on each side. Remove slices, and reduce heat to 350F. In a baking dish, spread a layer of spaghetti sauce to cover the bottom. Place a layer of eggplant slices atop the sauce. Sprinkle with an 80/20 ratio of Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese respectively, making a layer thick enough to obscure the eggplant layer beneath with cheese. Repeat the layering; sauce, eggplant, cheese. Sprinkle dried basil on the top cheese layer. Bake for 30 mins. or until golden brown. Best served with a long pasta, like capellini.

I also have a Minestrone soup recipe on here from several months ago, which I find to be a nice appetizer for this meal. Enjoy!

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Melanzzan is a great dish. Layered eggplant parmesan if you will.

Flour sliced eggplant and dip in a garlic-herb egg wash. Fry until brown around the edges and flip. Then layer with sauce, ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan. Repeat until you have a small tower, perhaps 3 levels. Bake until the cheese is brown and bubbly. Top with basil chiffonade.

Elegant enough for an appetizer but hearty enough for an entree with a side of pasta.

As a carnivore, this is my favorite way to eat eggplant. And I always forget how good it is until I have it again.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Eggplant is wonderful. My wife enjoys it when I throw it whole on the grill and we spread the smokey, cooked innards on crust bread with olive oil and garlic. Eggplant "escabeche" is also wonderful.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Good recipe. We prepare it similarly. It was a good year for eggplant. I got about 20 from one plant. We ate about half of them, and gave the rest to neighbors. While I like eggplant, I prefer zucchini. It has a little more bite, which I like.

• Love
Reactions: Servant King

giacomo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 15, 2018
Massachusetts (South Shore)
Melanzzan is a great dish. Layered eggplant parmesan if you will.

Flour sliced eggplant and dip in a garlic-herb egg wash. Fry until brown around the edges and flip. Then layer with sauce, ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan. Repeat until you have a small tower, perhaps 3 levels. Bake until the cheese is brown and bubbly. Top with basil chiffonade.

Elegant enough for an appetizer but hearty enough for an entree with a side of pasta.

As a carnivore, this is my favorite way to eat eggplant. And I always forget how good it is until I have it again.
Yeah, this is how my wife makes it, and I can't eat eggplant any other way.

Reactions: Servant King

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I was force fed eggplant as a child. I absolutely will not eat it. The only way to serve it is overhand or underhand, as long as the eggplant goes over the fence into the swamp.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Cajuns eat eggplant, fried, cubed and cooked with ground meat and rice, fried may be our best way, my Father loved fried eggplant, he had brain cancer and not long to live, brought him to our fishing camp, wife fried a huge platter of eggplant, he said that’s a lot, wife said it’s all yours, he ate it all, I had to turn around a few time and brush the tears away.Now when I see a platter of eggplant fried it touches my heart.