PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
Hi folks,
I see alot of articles and posts about someone not being able to get a certain tobacco, or maybe a certain artisan pipe who sells out before he lists a pipe. I never understood this. When I smoked penzance and stone haven, I acquired pounds in a matter of weeks, being diligent in my search. But pipes, that was a different story. I will not be telling you exactly how I have come across some pipes I have, but I will give you a hint...
When you want fresh milk, take it from the cow.
I really hope this helps some of you fine people out. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it is so true.
Chubbs-

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
I will not be telling you exactly how I have come across some pipes I have, but I will give you a hint...When you want fresh milk, take it from the cow. I really hope this helps some of you fine people out.

I appreciate your attempt to be helpful, but I'm afraid that in my case you have failed. However, I thank you for sharing your apparent success with the acquisition fresh milk.

Dec 24, 2012
I thought he has found a cow that produces pipes instead of milk - that is UTTERly amazing (see what I did there)

May 31, 2012
I took your advice Chubbs.
My newest acquisition:

267.jpg

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Perhaps a specific example of a hard to find pipe and your process would be helpful Chubbs. I would say that generally it isn't that easy. A lot of pipe makers don't want to sell to inidividuals directly. And most hard to find pipes are special editions or one of a kind hand mades or part of a series that was only produced in a short window of time and the makers don't have them anymore. My hard to find pipe is a Nording Hunter Series Bear rusticated. There are only a couple of places to get one new and from the pics of seen on their sites I'm not really fond of the rustication. Contacting Nording directly won't work. These are produced based by year and series. I could perhaps get a custom one made, but I"m not made of money either.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I've found that contacting internet sites and asking about a certain model that they don't show, or are out of, they are more than happy to give me availability/waiting time on that model. I have a wonderful ebay shop that I bought my Killarney Red from that goes out of it's way to locate pipes that the US is out of, or are not carried.

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
Gents
Let me clarify a bit. When I say hard to find, I mean artisan pipes.
I won't name names here, but, an artisan I deal with, has very hard to find pipes. When I approached him, as a smoker, not a collector, he lightened up a little bit and let me buy pipes from him directly instead of fighting with collectors. Over the past couple months I have actually developed a friendship with the guy, beyond just a business transaction. I am not a collector, I simply enjoy smoking some high end pipes.
When I wanted a roush, there were two options, initially, that crossed my mind. Fight with ebayers and pay more for an estate than new. Or, wait by my computer refreshing his "available" page. My thought at first was, the wait would e ridiculous and I wouldn't be able to get one. When I emailed Larry, and told him I jut wanted a good smoker, short with a bend, I had it in less than a month.
This is probably terrible wording, but I hope that you guys can see where I am coming from. I would love to give names, but I gave my word I wouldn't, due to the influx of emails that would follow.
I hope you guys catch my drift....

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
Harris,
In a sense, yes. However, I have found, when you approach the artisans who only sell to dealers, as wanting a pipe to smoke, not to collect, I have found great success in acquiring some really hard to get pipes.
Make sense?

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
Ex.
I wanted a pipe from Tom Eltang. A certain pipe. However, I guess a handful of other people did as well. In a desperate attempt, I emailed Tom and Pia, asking if they knew where I could find one. Tom asked me what I wanted, I told him, and he asked me specifics (length and such) and told me he would have one in two months. Sure enough, he did, and I bought it from him. Saved some money, got EXACTLY what I wanted and didn't have to eat others tithe punch.

Status
Not open for further replies.