PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
An interesting pipe sighting in a movie I was watching tonight. In post WW2 America, Clark Gable is an advertising man who volunteers to speak to a society matron and convince her to endorse his clients product. On his way out the door he grabs a pipe from a rack and says "I'll take a pipe. Women always trust a man with a pipe."
Of course, these days I mostly get strange looks from the ladies when I smoke a pipe. But maybe it's not the pipe?

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Of course, these days I mostly get strange looks from the ladies when I smoke a pipe. But maybe it's not the pipe?
That's about what I get also! :lol:

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Gable was a Briar Man. That may have even been a throwaway line or ad-lib - but very cool.
gabe-looking-hot-smoking-pipe.jpg

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Haha... I was smoking my pipe in the park last night and it drew all sorts of attention. You could tell which kids had parents that used pipes for stuff other than tobacco. lol They were saying stuff like "I can't believe your smoking weed in the park. Aren't you afraid the cops will bust you?" I was rolling. I had to whip out my tin and show them that people actually use a pipe for tobacco. What is this world coming to???

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
I had similar comments last weekend when I took the family (all female) shopping to a new Super-Duper Department Store that has just opened near us. Naturally, I took one step inside and decided "Honey, I'll be back at the car having a smoke..."
The range of comments went from a pair of elderly ladies saying "Oh look, that young gentleman is smoking a pipe, doesn't that take you back" to a Wife asking "Oh, what's that smell...it's lovely" Husband "It's that guy over there smoking a pipe" to the hippie parking attendant coming over to warn me "Be careful, this place is absolutely crawling with Police" to which I informed him that what I was smoking was "just a pipe". His answer? "Wow. Really???"

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Back in the day I would say that it was true - people trusted a pipe smoker.
Sad to say, but today, I'd bet many would view anyone (at least anyone under the age of 50) as a bit odd looking. :puffy:

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
The range of comments went from a pair of elderly ladies saying "Oh look, that young gentleman is smoking a pipe, doesn't that take you back" to a Wife asking "Oh, what's that smell...it's lovely" Husband "It's that guy over there smoking a pipe" to the hippie parking attendant coming over to warn me "Be careful, this place is absolutely crawling with Police" to which I informed him that what I was smoking was "just a pipe". His answer? "Wow. Really???
lol - those are great comments!

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
That was great kris. The only comments I get are "you know that's bad for your health". To which I always reply my grandfather lived to 108 years old. "Was he a smoker" they say. No I reply,but he knew how to mind his own business! That usually ends the conversation.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
What an excellent response, Keith, and quite possibly the best laugh I've had during an already joyous day.
Where does a busy body go after being handed that comment?
It's just the perfect squelch.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I very seldom see another pipe smoker around my area, so I guess that means they aren't very

plentiful. But I don't get any odd looks or comments. Maybe I'm just not paying attention

closely enough.

clyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
As a side note. Savinelli still makes a model called "Clark's Favorite" as he was known to like that slightly unusual shape.

mkelaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2012
This happens to me with amazing regularity: I'll be outside smoking and some sweet young thing whom I've never met will walk up and coo, "Ohhhh, I just love the aroma of your pipe." Just as I straighten up and puff out my chest a bit comes the inevitable second line: "My grandfather used to smoke a pipe."

Status
Not open for further replies.