PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
A little over eye level a Jar caught my eye...just thought it was a jar. Something drew me to it. When I picked it up, noticed there was something in it. I looked at the sticker on the top to see this.

1122151510-01_zpsqyoqjh20.jpg

So of course I felt the need to open it. Only to find an unopened box of Carter Hall (doubt it's old, but I've been wanting to try it for a while anyways) A Dr. Grabow Regal Bulldog, and a Medico 1/30 14k RGB banded Bulldog. The medico has chips (going to call it a bar in the middle) around the bowl. The Grabow the stem needs adjusted but it's locked up at the moment. Both require some cleaning.

1122151510-00_zpsydnd884u.jpg

1122151511-00_zpsnnt7jchc.jpg

I might take pictures of the pipes in more detail as I fix them up, just haven't gotten around it yet.

So for $22 I got that jar of goodies, and in another thread I got 3 The Doodler Pipes for $6 a piece. Total haul gifted from grandmother $40 for 5 pipes, A Box of Carter Hall, and 1 neat jar. (Assuming the Aztec piece of clay in the lid makes it a humidor jar?)

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Yep, that clay will humidify but be sure it's not dripping with water when you place it on the jar and check the tobacco every day or so when you check the clay. The clay should feel cool to the touch, testing it dry will give you an idea of what I mean, you did very well, enjoy.

banjo

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
SUPER HAUL!! I'm so happy for you Tyler! Those Doodlers alone will bring $15 to $25 each on ebay. I had one for a spell but had to sell it for the cash.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
It will unfortunately be a while for the bulldogs. Until I can be outside without shivering. As for The Doodler....I have to decide which to clean and smoke....certainly will post about them in the thread for them. I must say, already enjoying the name more than anything.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I hit estate sales and antique shops from time to time. I picked up only two pipes so far in about 6 years that way. So you got a great score as far as I'm concerned. This reminds me I should go on an antique crawl soon.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
If it's very old....it's just really well packaged. It came out of the bag feeling just right. Yet to smoke it though...but I had to open it. It has been a great month papipeguy! Several good finds.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The only dates I know of for Carter Hall packaging are these:
An ad (found on this forum) from the Dec. 20, 1956, Toledo Blade shows the then-new Carter Hall in the pouch-in-a-box format;

and the first UPC code wasn't used until 1974.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Yeah that Carter Hall box is interesting. Here is some images I found while looking for Carter Hall History. Never found info on that particular box though.
2hogwar.jpg

dw537l.jpg

2el9jrs.jpg

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Interesting. Hawke I didn't even compare with the boxes you packed the other tobacco in. Guess I will check that out when I get home.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
So I have gotten around to doing a little work on the pipes, have yet to clean out the inside...but some work on the chamber...which under the cake...pretty rough. Will work on smoothing it out. They had some nasty grime...you can kind of see in the picture above. The Dr. Grabow Regal has been a lot easier. Adjusted the stem, removed chatter, scrubbed, then polished a little just with an old cotton shirt. No stem oil, wiped it down with a damp paper towl, then a vigorous rubbing with a shirt....made it shiny but flat, not much effort required so far.
As for the Medico....pretty rough. The nasty grooves filled with grime completely...still working it out...the broken pieces, out of round, no wax left, burn marks, caked on something, looked rough. I just bathed it with alcohol...actually like it better than before. Will likely become my first project with stain later down the road. However, with just a little TLC they are coming out alright. The Regal should be good to go within a week or so when I can get time to clean out the shank/stem.
Anyways, just felt like updating....what can be done with things you find around the house :) Can't wait to get to where I have the tools to make them really nice. Still, happy with it as of now, and am looking forward to trying my first bulldog to see what the fuss is about. I will post more when I can get get better pictures and am completely finished. Should have done before/after....with a lot of pipes for that matter. Apologies for the rant.
IMG_0098_zpshkfrzvrw.jpg

IMG_0108_zpsu1ilxj8f.jpg

IMG_0109_zpsfevtbbjm.jpg

IMG_0111_zps1poteeu1.jpg

IMG_0105_zpsq2dekdej.jpg

IMG_0107_zpsxgtemesv.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.