Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Not me, not Anthony Cook.
Not me either, so who's left? :)
There are a few guys who have done some real wizardry, like Dave G, on their own collections. But among people in "the pipe game"? I have no idea, but I'll be happy to find out.
Could it be Pablo's second cousin, three times removed, Sam Picasso?

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Inquiring minds want to know more about this mystery wizard.

rBolZAw.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Regarding the color, it's certain that nothing like deliberate "contrast" staining was in use a century ago on factory pipes. What was used FOR staining---meaning the chemicals/dyes---isn't known, though.
Having done a bunch of oldies myself, in this case I'd say a (very!) small amount of black added to the mix would have done the trick of its own accord. No layering needed.
That said, between the room lights, the photo software, the photo host site aberrations (two hosts in this case), and the display screen settings (on both ends), ANYTHING to do with color on the Interweb is unpredictable and unreliable. Having the pipes in hand is all that truly means anything when it comes to finish/color. Also, simply cleaning and waxing the "old" shots here would change things dramatically. But then they wouldn't be old, would they? :lol:
And so it goes.
Regarding everything else, it simply doesn't get much better. This guy is serious.
HINT: But for two letters, he'd be a famous outlaw. :puffy:

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Well, he (Jesse) is doing something right! Wow, his work sells fast.

utV7PHp.png

e8CrADi.png

MOBrrWK.png

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Yup. Jesse rang me up last week to discuss this Dunhill, and emailed pics yesterday to show how it turned out.
I knew the sneaky dude was a top-tier maker, and ran a virtual B&M on the side (or maybe he'd say it's the other way around :lol: ), and I knew he did simple clean-ups, but I DIDN'T know he went all-in on cool/rare oldies from time to time... and could kill it when he did.
It's a different skill set altogether both mentally and physically, and requires a lot of different tools than making New Stuff.
He's the only high-level double threat guy I know of, in fact. Which is why I posted this thread. In my corner of the PipeWorld, that's news.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
That said, between the room lights, the photo software, the photo host site aberrations (two hosts in this case), and the display screen settings (on both ends), ANYTHING to do with color on the Interweb is unpredictable and unreliable. Having the pipes in hand is all that truly means anything when it comes to finish/color.
I agree completely George. I think Jesse makes great pipes. As someone who collects older Larsen pipes, when I saw his version of the Sven Knudsen Walrus, shape 49, I was blown away!
joneswalrus21.jpg

screenshot_2019-03-15-wo1-pdf1.png

He is the first person I would think of to make a version of the oh so hard to find shape 72.
screenshot_2019-03-15-wo1-pdf.png

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.