PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
As I continue unpacking boxes from my recent move, I find myself getting more organized than ever.

I have found and corralled upwards of 10 pounds of bulk requiring long term storage solutions.

I have maybe the equivalent of 20 flats worth of jarred tobacco already taking up real estate.

The transition to mylar is growing in appeal.

Those of you that use mylar, please educate the rest of us.

What hardware do you prefer?

What is your technique?

Break it on down for the rest of us. How do you size, organize, label? Give us the works.

Also, tell us what DOESN'T work. Share your shortcut failures and other harebrained schemes.

I know some of you live for this stuff, so, let us have it! puffy

Thanks.

1658856581676.png

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've jarred and used Mylar and both work fine for me.
I buy the heavy grade .7 mil food grade metalized mylar, and I bought a styling iron which makes heat sealing a breeze.
I'm not doing anything other than packing and heat sealing. Some use a dessicant to combat mold formation. I don't do that with jars, so I don't see the need for Mylar.
I just pack firmly, squeeze out the air and seal. Some use a vacuum sealer, which is a good idea if you have concerns about air contaminants or want to retard any sort of "aging".

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I buy the heavy grade .7 mil food grade metalized mylar, and I bought a styling iron which makes heat sealing a breeze.
I'm not doing anything other than packing and heat sealing. Some use a dessicant to combat mold formation. I don't do that with jars, so I don't see the need for Mylar.
I just pack firmly, squeeze out the air and seal. Some use a vacuum sealer, which is a good idea if you have concerns about air contaminants or want to retard any sort of "aging".
Wouldn't a dessicant pack dry out the tobacco? I always get them with the bags but never use them for fear of them drying the tobacco out, but if that's not the case maybe I'll start using them.

Reactions: jaytex1969

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Dry out? Doubt it unless you're using a large number. Dry down a bit? Sure, though not much. That's the point of the metalized mylar. There's no moisture loss. Honestly, I'm sure that there's a reason for using them that I just don't know. I do tend to reduce moisture before jarring and encasing in Mylar as a hedge against mold. So far it's worked.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
This. I have LOTS of recent experience. If I had it all to do over, I would ONLY use .7 mylar. LIghter, doesn't break and takes up less space. I use a clothes iron to seal mine. To be fair, I cannot attest to how effective mylar will be over a really long haul, 10 years plus. However, I see no reason to doubt the efficacy of mylar.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
This. I have LOTS of recent experience. If I had it all to do over, I would ONLY use .7 mylar. LIghter, doesn't break and takes up less space. I use a clothes iron to seal mine. To be fair, I cannot attest to how effective mylar will be over a really long haul, 10 years plus. However, I see no reason to doubt the efficacy of mylar.
Mylar is good for keeping food fresh for 25+ years so it stands to reason that our tob should be safe. Let's hope so because I have hundreds of pounds of food in mylar not to mention 6 64qt tubs packed with mylared tobacco.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
No issues so far:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
All of the mylar I have, I took in trade. Most of it is silver.

I do have one or two smaller units that are silver on one side and clear on the other.

Are these still mylar? Do they last as long? Differences?

View attachment 159162
Mylar is not impermeable on its own. The metaled coating increases its impermeability. .7 mil Mylar is a laminate of seven layers, each with an aluminum coating. Gas exchange is basically zero.

The units with a clear side will not keep your contents from drying out.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Thanks, @sablebrush52 and all other respondents. Thanks, @shanez , for the redirect. Those threads are the kind of info I was looking for.

So, for those using the heavier bags, tell us about your successes and failures with various sealing techniques.

What works?

1658877422167.png

Reactions: seanv

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thanks, @sablebrush52 and all other respondents. Thanks, @shanez , for the redirect. Those threads are the kind of info I was looking for.

So, for those using the heavier bags, tell us about your successes and failures with various sealing techniques.

What works?

View attachment 159175
No failures. It's pretty simple. Fill up a bag, spreading out the gusseting if it's gusseted. Push together the seal running along the top, leaving a little gap so you can squeeze out the remaining air, then close the seal. I use a hair styling iron, a Kipozi Pro Nano-Titanium, to heat seal the top of the bag, 10 seconds of pressure. Done and dusted.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I am converting to Mylar for much of my cellar before I move and I think it is saving weight and space. I agree with everything Sable said on how and what to use. I have opened several bags I sealed as a test years ago. I am happy to report that after 4 or 5 years the blends were as good as the day I put them in the bags. I used the all silver .7 and a plain iron from WallyWorld. I seal both sides and mark with a sharpie. Not fancy but it works for me. Much lighter than jars and packs in tubs much better.