PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dandy Pipesmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2020
Switzerland
After many years of purchases, exchanges and sales, after understanding my tastes and my preferences, I settled my collection of pipes (although it would be better to call it an arsenal) with 30 briar pipes.

I know that for many this number may seem inadequate to a daily smoker. However, not being a collector (at least in the common definition) I find that with 30 pipes that smoke well I have enough to guarantee adequate rotation and therefore rest.

After 20 years in the hobby now my arsenal is formed, not entirely intentionally, from 30 pipes in three price ranges or quality: 10 that I consider my best and most beautiful, 10 that I consider good but not necessarily very aesthetic, and another 10 that are of little value and widely used but smoke well and are reliable.

The higher-end ones never leave the house. I bring the medium ones everywhere but when I know I will have the ideal environment to enjoy them in peace. The last ones are the ones that I consider everyday, that I carry everywhere without too many worries.

Obviously I have some outsiders such as clay pipes or corncobs but they do not fit into the scheme.

Do you also have a sort of similar (at least hypothetical) subdivision in your collection? Or do you only collect a certain category?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
After 30 years i did a major downsizing from just over 185 pipes to at or around 60 currently. All of my pipes go on my shirt pocket to wherever I go from cobs to artisans. My collection has stopped at cobs, a Bruce Weaver collection, 32 Savinelli yachtsmen, a Don Carlos volcano, a few Preben Holms, a Nording duck, and 3 J. Everett pipes.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
I am basically the same as you John, with the 3 basic categories. My differences are that I been buying and selling for about 40 years, have perhaps 45 pipes, and there a few in there that are un-smoked (but will be one day).

Higher end ones never leave the house, either because they were expensive or rare and probably could not be replaced (without searching again for years and years to find them).

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
I will be in the minority here, and that's fine. All of my pipes are fairly inexpensive/entry level pipes except for one or two. None of them leave my house as I don't smoke out and about. Maybe one will make the trip across the street to my neighbours house, that's it.
Totally agree with you have about 15 all lower end with many cobs. Smoke them all on my property.

Reactions: Dandy Pipesmoker

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I had good, better and best for a long time. I realized life was too short so now I give/sold all my good, and better pipes and smoke my best almost all the time. I buy very good pipes to enjoy smoking them and not to get a return on investment. That's my kids problem so I smoke them as they were intended. Exception is when fishing. I would hate to get excited and drop a Dunhill or Barling in the river and lose it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As many members may suspect, I don't categorize among my pipes. I understand the categories in which they might fit. A few are upper echelon artisan pipes with pedigree. Others (a good many) are low-cost factory pipes, some more refined than others. Adding categories, I could slice it pretty thin, maybe five or six or more slots. But as you may know, that's not how I think about them or feel about them at all. Sometimes my Kaywoodie Drinkless seems like the finest pipe of them all, or my MM/C&D cob, or my Peterson Belgique (a little further up the ladder), and so forth. I'm probably a somewhat imaginative guy, and likely somewhat romantic despite myself. But if I'm thoroughly enjoying a smoke, that pipe, which ever one, is my favorite for an hour or so. I respect more discerning pipe owners, but that's not me.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
30 pipes is more than adequate if drying/resting is the main concern. I have about 80-100, and smoke maybe 50 of them with some regularity. The only ones that don't leave the house are very old ones, or a couple of large meers.

Care to show a few?

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I just counted, and I have:
- 7 nice pipes that get smoked all the time, which include Boswell, Dunhill, Stanwell, 2 Savenilli, Bjorne Viking, and a little Servi meer.

- 3 nice pipes that are smoked once in a blue moon, mostly because of size or shape that include Nording freehand, Butz Choquin, and Peterson.

- A bunch of basket and cobs that never get smoked anymore because they just don't taste good. Most smoke well, but the shitty vulcanite stems taste horrid and/or I can't stand the cob taste anymore.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I'm not sure how others would classify mid-level. Depends on your price tolerance - but I have 25 that I consider mid-level, that are Rattray's, Moretti's, Brebbias, Pete and the like. I have a few I consider my best, Dunhill, Ardor, and Viprati rounding out about 30. If I don't seem to smoke one I sell it. I would take any of them anywhere - but reserve a couple of cobs for hazard duty.

Sonorisis

Dec 24, 2019
Interesting question.

I have some expensive (to me) Army Mount pipes that are both wonderful artisan pipes and very practical at the same time. They go anywhere. The only thing I don't do with them is smoke goopers or Lakeland's in them.

Ghosting is for cobs and Falcons.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not traveling much these days, but when I was, MM cobs and a few modestly priced pipes seemed to pull the travel assignments, though I always smoke less traveling than I expect. However, if I lost a pipe traveling, I think it might bother me as much as a more pricey one.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I think my favorites are some of my nicer ones and some of my everyday ones that I routinely abuse so I can't really look at it as a matter of favorites. I have no problem taking my nicer ones out of the house depending on what activity I'm going to be engaging in. I do have 2 especially nice pipes that are still unsmoked and I don't take them out of the display case. That might change someday but probably not anytime soon.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
At one time, I had a 7 day set each of Pete spigots, Savs, Stanwells and Radices. A few odds and ends. Somehow, I wound up with nothing but 4 Castellos and one beater 673 that stays in the pick-up. One cob that's around here somewhere.

I may pick up another Castello or two. Or I may not. The older I get, the simpler I seem to like things.

Status
Not open for further replies.