Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
It was only a matter of time, of course:
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-40802147

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I had a friend who smoked cigarettes all the time. When I asked him about quitting, he said "Why? I am only 30 years old and in 30 years from now on any internal organ replacement is going to be possible, so no worries."

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If we don't blow ourselves to perdition in the meantime, I think many replacement organs are coming close to reality. I have a friend who is on dialysis because he's aged out of eligibility for a kidney replacement. In the foreseeable future, it looks like they can grow you one of your own, no donor required, no particular scarcity. Sometimes these things "within reach" never arrive, but this looks quite possible.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
For now, our genetic editing will be aimed at correcting errors.
In the future, you can have designer babies.
Either that, or people are going to slam the lid on all of this modern nonsense.
Or maybe we'll blow ourselves up.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
This is probably the first time many people are hearing about CRISPR (I love these acronyms they come up with). DNA editing, splicing, copying, pasting. Nothing to worry about there...the Eugenicist Elite are in charge. Sleep well.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
This is my son's field, and remember CRISPR CAS9. It'll be a household term soon. We joke that my son is already better at being God than God is. (ducks lightning bolt).

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Unless the Eugenicist Elite are trying to perfect useless dipshits, they haven't accomplished dick so far.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Dysgenicists would really be the more accurate term.
EDIT: It will ultimately be about control, not perfection. And even if perfection was the aim, it's misguided imo.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
My theory has always been "Watch what you ask for,You might just get it." :twisted:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
They can't perfect this fast enough for me.
Hobie, if something like this could help someone like you it’d be wonderful, and I hope it does. Unfortunately I just don’t think that’s where things are headed. We’re on a Brave New World trajectory, and have been for a long time now.
Technology is neutral. But how it is ultimately used and who gets access to it are other questions entirely.

May 4, 2015
The only issue I see with this is that it will only be available to the very wealthy, giving only them the opportunity to have "problem free" babies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I had a friend who smoked cigarettes all the time. When I asked him about quitting, he said "Why? I am only 30 years old and in 30 years from now on any internal organ replacement is going to be possible, so no worries."
Tell your friend this only works when we still have competitive Health Insuance.
I can see this turning people into mutants, looking like a Total Recall extravaganza.

Status
Not open for further replies.