PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
A couple friends and I have been video chatting every other evening on Google Meets as a virtual happy hour during our self-quarantine. I see no reason why a few of us couldn't do the same thing for a pipe and a little chit chat.

I think I have started a google calendar event with conferencing that will allow it. If you have a gmail address, follow the link to be invited to virtually have a pipe with me today, Saturday March21, from 3-5pm Central Standard Time. Google Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/event?action=TEMPLATE&tmeid=Y29vM2lwMzNjbGozNGI5bzZjcTNlYjlrNzFnajJiYjFjb3BtNGI5aDc1aW0yYzFnNnBnamNvOWc3MCBzdGxsdWNreUBt&tmsrc=stllucky%40gmail.com

If you are more tech savvy than me (likely) and can set up a virtual meeting in another application that's more likely to be useful or successful, by all means run with this idea. Just send me a link so i can participate.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Well, you're posting to a forum, so you have some sort of internet accessing device. IT is pretty far from my area of knowledge, but even if you don't have a webcam or a broadband connection, I think you could get into our meeting just typing into the chat feature. You're certainly welcome in whatever form you can appear.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
Well, you're posting to a forum, so you have some sort of internet accessing device. IT is pretty far from my area of knowledge, but even if you don't have a webcam or a broadband connection, I think you could get into our meeting just typing into the chat feature. You're certainly welcome in whatever form you can appear.
O okay i thought you have a camera most of my activity is at work but i will try to chime in when i can

Reactions: BROBS

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Tomorrow afternoon: Friday, March 27th from 3-5pm central, I will be on my "porch" enjoying a pipe break during our time at home. If anyone wants to join me by video conferencing, PM me with a Gmail address, and I will invite you to the meeting.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks. I will try to be there! Might a reminder go out mid morning tomorrow?

And, does Google Meet require a specific app, or does it run all right in a browser.

Old School- What sort of computer do you have? May work better than a smart phone anyway. May.

~ John

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
This is my understanding, please keep in mind that I am a woodworker and not an IT guy or even one who works daily with computers.

You will need to download meet if you are using your phone/tablet. If you are on a desktop/laptop computer, you can go to meet.google.com and enter the meeting code from the invite.

More generally, I believe the meeting can have up to 25 persons in it, tho only 5 would be able to speak at once. So far that has not been an issue.

As for reminders: it's an event in your calendar, you ought to be able to set an email reminder or a phone alarm for however far ahead of the event you wish.

I imagine conversation will proceed as it usually does at pipe club meeting, "what are you smoking?" And move organically from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.