PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

transmutated

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2014
I know there are other threads existing for free pipe project related things but I wanted to make a seperate thread for this because the generosity on display here is too immense to make a simple post about.
Last week I receieved an email from user Andy Stewart offering me some pipes and tobacco to help me progress my pipe smoking (RE: Free Pipe Project). My financial situation is extremely poor and buying really good quality pipes is very difficult for me...and I struggle to get/try as much tobacco as I'd like.
So, we met in the Dunhill shop in central London and the level of generosity I encountered was...unbelievable.

I have spent a few days trying the assortment of tobaccos and pipes he supplied me with and was going to post an excellent thank you this weekend (however, my boss has vanished for a couple of hours so I am going to do this now).
So, the stunning list of things I got include:
An excellent Stanwell pipe.

A brilliant Barton pipe.

A fantastic Meerschaum lined St Claude Chap pipe.
A tin of Cornell & Diehl – Morning Drive Time.

A tin of GL Pease – Westminster.

A tin of Dunhill – Elizabethan Mixture.

A tin of Dunhill – De Luxe Navy Rolls.

A loose bag of Dunhill – My Mixture 965.

A loose bag of Cavendish tobacco from the pipe shop in Covent Garden, London.

And a whole load of different pipe cleaning materials (pipe cleaners/cloths etc etc)...I really hope I haven't left anything out.
Andy, you went above and beyond my wildest dreams of what I thought I could expect from the free pipe project.
I have spent several days enjoying this amazing array of gifts and…really, can still not believe my luck.

I am extremely eager to pay forward and will pester everyone I come across to take up the hobby with whatever help I can offer them.

If more pipe smokers behaved like you it would not be such an obscure activity in the UK.

I don't want to sound too sycophantic but seriously...you are a shining example of a pipe smoker and human being in general.
I took a load of photos of my new acquisitions and (unless I completely mess it up) you should be able to see a few of these photos...now:
I think the correct term for this is "a hoard".

p1-600x462.jpg

Here is the Barton pipe I mentioned. I think I prefer large bowls in general and this fat pipe is so smooth and good to smoke that it alone has put all my other pipes to shame.

p4-600x450.jpg

The Stanwell. This is probably my favourite of the 3 pipes. It's just beautiful, smokes great and (most importantly) looks just like the pipe the old pilot who lived in the house next door to me when I was a kid used smoke.

p3-600x450.jpg

...and the Chap Meerschaum lined pipe. Again, a great looking pipe and a fantastic smoke.

p2-600x450.jpg

Oh...and here's me sat on the terrace enjoying some Morning Drive Time in the Stanwell pipe.

p6-487x600.png

Oh and here's another poloroid taken by my girlfriend:

p5-504x600.png

Andy, I thank you. A thousand times, I thank you.

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Oh, wow. This is just beyond belief. Andy, may God continue to bless you and reward you for your generosity.
transmutated, your response is perfect. Pay it forward!
For my part, I pledge to put together a package for the Free Pipe Project as soon as I am able. Pipe Smokers are the greatest people in the world.

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
Awesome!! I have been contacted myself and I am supposed to get my package next week! I can hardly wait I swear I'm like a kid at Christmas!! I have met so many generous people it's unbelievable. I would not believe it if I did not have it happen to me as I did. I think your haul was a great one. I will someday pay it forward and help out a newbie like myself for I know how it has truly touched me!! God bless everyone who is involved in this project and I want to let each one know that the ones who are helped out are truly greatfull. I feel like I am part of the pipe smoking family and this fourm is something special!! Happy puffing all!

Marine33-----Richard

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
You are The Man, Andy, and a great post, Transmuted. It must be your British gentlemanly nature.

Jan 8, 2013
Awesome. Completely awesome. The generosity of the pipe community strikes again. Even thousands of miles away, it makes me smile.
Andy- good job man.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
That is a very nice hook up you got. Quite the "starter kit." Andy is a gentleman and a scholar, and likely a fine judge of whiskey and women.

oldmannk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2014
It's refreshing to see awesome people out there given back and doing awesome things. Godspeed to Andy and all of his Robin Hood helpers!

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
It warms my heart to hear such stories. Good on you Andy, for going above and beyond. It's nice to have stumbled upon such a caring little corner of the internet.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Nice to see someone that's plagued by extreme taxes taking advantage of the free pipe program. +1 Nice pipes, that's similar to my stanwell, it's just a no nonsense kind of pipe that you'd bring to a business meeting if you wanted to be taken seriously.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Transmutated, you must be really old as your selfies are showing up in black and white! Lol. It's really phenomenal that Andy and people like him go so far out of their way to help out neophytes and get them properly started in this fine hobby. Congrats and kudos to all of you involved here in the US and elsewhere. If this keeps up we might start seeing more of ourselves out and about which would please me greatly.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
This just doesn't get old.
Thank you Andy.
Thank you mutated.
Thank you for that perfect response. I really like all three of those pipes, not even saying that to be polite. And you got to meet Andy at the Dunhill shop? Awesome job, both of you.

transmutated

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2014
If I needed any further proof that pipe smokers are an awesome bunch of people, it's reading these comments.

Really lovely.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
This was the first thread I read today. What a fantastic way to start the weekend. With all of the chaos, greed, evil and hatred that we hear about on the news each day, it's so very awesome to know that unselfish, good people still abound.....and in a tiny percentage of the community known as pipers, it seems to be the standard.
I am proud to be a part of this wonderful brotherhood. You guys and gals absolutely rock. Kudos to Andy, and congrats to transmutated, You're in the "karma loop" now. 8)

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Not to hijack but can someone tell me who I need to contact to donate a piece or two to the project? Thanks in advance.
Never mind, I think I found it. Shantiques, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.