PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eriksmokes85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2015
How many of the members here can remember the day they took the first sip of a pipe? What pipe were you smoking and what was the tobacco? I think this hobby is all about traveling to simpler times and just slowing down, which I feel makes things easy to remember. So lets hear it! Also do you still have the pipe in your rotation?
Mine was around a bon fire with 3 buddies, two of them smoked pipes already and had brought them over. The first pipe I smoked was a Sherlock calabash and the tobacco was smokers pride black cavendish. It wasnt my pipe so no I dont have it still.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Does being 14 and rolling up a teachers pipe tobacco in a rolling paper count? Otherwise it's a cheap ass drug store pipe and some horrible goop from the same drug store at about 15.
My first good smoke was a nice pipe and some dynamite bulk I picked up from a local B&M that is no longer in business when I was about 17.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
Mine was in a $25 bent egg filled with some English blend, both of which I bought at JR on the way down to Florida. Despite reading a bit, I had no real idea what I was doing. It was a disaster, and I still have the tongue-scars to prove it.
I still have the pipe, but I can't remember the last time I smoked it. And I am not an English fan, but for other reasons.

jbales

Lurker
Nov 4, 2015
Player's Navy Cut Flake in a Spitfire Lorenzo merely four days ago. It was a wonderful experience.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Long time ago....I can tell you it was a Brigham pipe but that's about it?? :?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Forgettable drugstore pouch-baccy in a brand-forgotten shallow-bowled stingered, varnished ugly thang in 1963. I have it somewhere!

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I'm not real sure, I'll ponder on this more however I do remember my first Flake. ...Sam G's FVF. I was instantly sold on flakes. Before that was Dan Tobacco Independence which somehow led me into Latakia blends. I have smoked a fair amount of John Bull in the pouch. All this began Jan 2014. I am now a big fan of PS Lux Twist Flake and HH Vintage Syrian. My Latakia tastes have become less desired and VaPer's have become more of a part of my smoking rotations. I have had many chances to sample different blends in trades which I value tremendously due to the friendships acquired on this forum. Wish I lived closer to some pipe clubs.
Good question for discussion!

eriksmokes85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2015
I was wondering how many members would be saying cheap pipe cheap bad tobacco! seems like maybe the majority!

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
A Dr. Grabow pipe (can't remember which one) with some Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. Actually was pretty good although I couldn't appreciate the taste of it as much as I can now, although I prefer other burleys over SWR

matches

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2015
Dunedin, NZ
I've only been smoking a pipe for a year so not hard to remember. FM Cellar in a Becker e Musico apple which I still have.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
First time was at the river trails with my friend's dad's THE PIPE circa 1983 and some drug store tobacco. I remember a lot of RedMan chew around this time too.

Status
Not open for further replies.