PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Tamping has been discussed before, but I thought I'd summarize the reasons for tamping, not because I know so much but to solicit other ideas from members. Here are some of the uses of tamping, and then others can add to the list

1. When packing a pipe, a gentle tamping will sometimes settle the blend into place breaking up any pieces that are sticking up before you light up. But keep the packed bowl loose enough to breathe.

2. Sometimes the first light is just a charring light and doesn't get the ember going, so tamping will prep the bowl again for the relight.

3. When a bowl goes out when partially full, a tamping will settle the blend back in place so the unburnt tobacco is more compact and burns better.

4. As you get past the halfway mark in a bowl, you especially need to settle the tobacco again to keep the ember material together.

5. Even as the ember is burning evenly, you can improve the burn by tightening the blend just a little, keeping the unburnt leaf compact.

6. Don't overdo it. Two or three tampings will usually get you through a bowl, but when needed, go to it.
What have I forgotten? Or, how could this be said better? Tamping is useful and a fine art and will enhance your smoke every time. Tamping is not an empty gesture. Be sure to tuck the edges of the ember back into the bowl for even burning.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think some skip tamping because it seems frivolous, but once you get the hang of it, you wouldn't skip it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The pick on the Czech tool, and some other tools, is good if you pack a little too tight and the draw is restricted. Loosen the tobacco up with the pick all around and usually you won't have to empty the pipe and re-pack.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Tamping can be made for of a fun thing when you are using a tamper you have made from some ornate piece of branch or wood, when you have made it your own personal tool it adds to the enjoyment of pipe smoking.

Example below:

I2G4VKKl.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jttnk, good point, tamping is a gentle art; you don't want to compress the leaf much. It needs to breathe to burn. Thanks, mike!

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
mso489 I might add that if you are in a tight spot, smoking outside, and quickly have to put out the pipe and go inside tamping will help. :D

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Thanks, Danimalia...I enjoy making them as well as using them. I've got about 20 that I alternate between depending on mood and pipe used.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
madox, good point, a tamper is a quick way to put a pipe out when needed.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I wouldn't think of piping without a tamper. For me, it's a necessity for keeping my pipe burning efficiently and steadily.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yep. Nice write up, Tom.
Someone asked a while ago how many tamps per bowl. I had little idea, so I started paying attendant. So, 2-5 seems about right, with 3 the median.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My finger is usually my tamper. Regardless of the tamper I should mention a technique I learned years ago. As you tamp, twist the tamper a quarter turn or so. I find this helps to "nest" the tobacco as it stirs the ash and leaf a bit.
How many tamps? As needed would be my suggestion. Many of my bowls only get one gently finger tamp and twist maybe two thirds of the way through.

Reactions: J.Henry845

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
MSO489, I have found that if I use the proper tamping technique to keep the ember bed tight, I rarely have to relight my pipe. To me tamping is part of the subtle art of smoking a pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.