PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I dedicate pipes to certain genres and some pipes to specific blends. Next week we are going on vacation for two weeks and I can only bring a select number of pipes. I am going to crack my only tin of Black Frigate while on this vacation. My question is, does Black Frigate ghost a pipe or is it fairly neutral? I don’t want to have to choose a pipe to match it with while I have only a limited stock on hand but I want to open something new and exciting while I am away. My plan is to smoke it in a dedicated Latakia pipe.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I don't think it ghosts a pipe at all. You should be fine with whichever you choose. Just wouldn't smoke it in any other pipe you have dedicated to like Virginias or Burleys, obviously.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm no ghost expert. I'd only worry about Lakelands aromatics and maybe Mixture No. 79, though I'm not troubled by it so far. Much depends on your sensitivity. I enjoyed a tin of Black Frigate in the recent past, and I don't have any idea which pipes I used, so I am experiencing zero ghosting, but perhaps I'm not that discerning.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I am going to Russia and Ireland in the fall. I plan on taking a couple of meerschaums and buying tobacco as I travel. The meerschaums can be smoked to no end and you don’t have to worry about poltergeist.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I wouldn't smoke it in a Latakia pipe. As it has very little Latakia in it, a ghost in an English dedicated pipe would likely overpower it. Can't imagine BF causing any kind of ghosting.

Jan 8, 2013
I wouldn't smoke it in a Latakia pipe.
I was actually going to say the opposite, since you said you were going to use a latakia pipe. I was going to say you shouldn't have any problems with ghosting since you're using that pipe. But, actually, Duane is correct. Black Frigate certainly isn't a lat bomb. I like latakia, but Frigate has very little indeed. But it's that very little bit of latakia added to Black Frigate which makes it the perfect amount for that blend. A pipe dedicated to English/Balkan blends may already have an overpowering latakia ghost that will hinder you from actually tasting all that the 'Frigate' has to offer. Choose a more neutral pipe. Any ghost BF leaves, if indeed it leaves one, will likely be minor and easily exorcised.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Safe to use in a VA-dedicated pipe then?
I would say so. Most of BF is Virginia Oriental. Any residual left from BF, if at all, should easily burn away on your next smoke.

xingpao

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2019
Are you saying black frigate is not deserving of an entire fleet of dedicated pipes?

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Tangent, but that’s a damn fine blend, Cap’n Embers. Really glad I learned about it here; I’m sure I’d have overlooked it otherwise. I’m into my third ounce of four. Soon I’ll write a review of it on SPC, and I’ll need to up my game to the 8oz tins.
I dedicated my favorite pipe (one the wife and kids bought for me) to it, as it looks the part! (Sandblasted black Scott’s bent brandy.)
But yeah I’d think I could safely smoke Va/Pers (no burleys or significant lats) in the same pipe with no problem.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Are you saying black frigate is not deserving of an entire fleet of dedicated pipes?
I actually commissioned a pipe specifically for that blend several years ago, and that's all that gets smoked in it.
img_20160828_151558.jpg

I dedicated my favorite pipe (one the wife and kids bought for me) to it, as it looks the part! (Sandblasted black Scott’s bent brandy.)
Would love to see it!

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Duane is correct. Black Frigate certainly isn't a lat bomb. I like latakia, but Frigate has very little indeed. But it's that very little bit of latakia added to Black Frigate which makes it the perfect amount for that blend
Double-dozen-plus on what Anthony said. No need to worry about "haints" on BF. Dunae's shared pics of that volcano before; I drool every time he does.
Really glad I learned about it here; I’m sure I’d have overlooked it otherwise
Same here. The Skipper shanghai'd me as well, & I ain'ts rer-gitted it even oncet, arrrrrr...... "We have an accord...."
Bill

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I decided to open my tin on our fourth day of vacation. Nice rainy and slightly Windy day out here so I thought it would be perfect and I was right. I think I am hooked. The tin note was incredible and so is the smoke. This burns great and holds a world of flavors all the way through. If the rest of this tin smokes as good as this bowl, I will have to add this to my cellar

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Scott’s pipe dedicated to Black Frigate. Yes, it’s a terrible picture.
I know no one cares (not in the clique and IDGAF), but Embers said he’d like to see it so...
416b4e70-ef59-4435-a3bb-8d9236468075-600x450.jpg

Date on jar is wrong: should be 12/19. Just noticed it - lol, will put a new one on.

Status
Not open for further replies.