Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
I browsed through the article and enjoyed it. I'm not a very seasoned Piper but enjoy the whole spectrum of the tobaccos.

Mostly I enjoy mild nic wise and sweet taste and aroma are what I want. Every so often though I crave that "shoe leather" of Lat and move towards that.

I enjoy most tobaccos and don't really believe in the evolution deal but would think most start off with aero or sweet and later try lat blends which could be considered a progression. I view it as experience mostly.

Cotton1

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
I read your article when I saw it in the other post. Pipe tobacco is very difficult to get here (NZ) before you even start to worry about Aro’s or other blends. I do worry through that I have too many Latakia blends in my cellar that I purchased before the import gates closed here. This year though I have some tobacco plants growing in the vegetable garden. Never thought I would be doing that. Probably unlikely I will ever be turning that leaf into an Aro. Perhaps in the future the only tobacco available may be natural from your back yard grower. That would be interesting.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
That's an interesting article. I "evolved" from aros, to latakia blends, to burley and then Virginias.

I do not think however that this evolution was due to tastes, rather due to technique. Even in my aro phase, which was short-lived, I knew I would like the flavor profiles of most Virginias, but I just needed to build my technique, as I could not enjoy them at that time.

Latakia blends came soon after aros because the flavor-to-technique ratio is much more friendly to a newbie.

That's interesting that latakia blends are seen as the zenith of pipe smoking however, because Virginias and aros are the most difficult to smoke properly for someone first getting started, while latakia blends are often more forgivable.

Arrrrrg, can't make fun of Mixture 79, Cherry Middleton, corn cob pipes, church wardens.... now aromatics?
Where's my freedomness and libertations? What's next, I won't be able to talk about artisan pipe and Virginia supremacy?

Ha ha, JK... I won't stop making fun of stuff... it's built into my DNA. You'll get my jokes when you rip them from my cold dead mouth... uhhh, errr... something like that. puffy

Can't we all just get along... and joke with one another... and laugh for the sake of brotherhood and camaraderie?
I never intended to make aromatic smokers cry, nor Mix 79 guys hide in the closet and cut themselves. I'm so sorry. And, how many Cherry Middleton smokers have to die of suicide by monoxide poisoning cooped up all alone in an old garage smoking in front of a kerosene heater before we realize that our jokes have power, terrible destructive power.

Uggg, I'm so torn. On one hand, I want to laugh, and on the other... it makes me very sad. puffy

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Pipe smoking "evolution" can be understood two ways -- one with respect to smoking technique and the other with respect to taste and smell preferences.

I have found that VAs and Va/pers are the hardest to elicit flavor from and are demand more in terms of technique. The flavors and smell of aromatics are more apparent even with bad technique but hard to fully enjoy without proper technique and can become downright unpleasant if not packed and smoked carefully. I find Latakia blends the "easiest" to smoke in terms of being the most forgiving and having the flavor and aroma quite up front. So in terms of smoking mechanics, I would rate Va and Va/pers as the most "evolved" in terms of requiring the most advanced technique, followed by aros then Latakias (and codger type burley blends as well).

But a different question is taste. Here, while Vas and Va/Pers are definitely more subtle, I don't think evolution or pipe smoking experience are really relevant. Some people gravitate towards savory, umami or salty tastes while others have a sweet tooth. For some, like me, it depends on their mood. And some don't really love the taste of straight tobacco. So it would be quite natural for some 30 year pipe smokers for whom smoking technique is second nature to simply like aros better, or Vas or whatever, depending on personal taste.

I remember when I first started and I went to a rinky dinky pipe shop down the road that seemed to specialize more in Civil War memorabilia than pipes or tobaccos... even his humidor was just full of the cheapest mass produced cigars out there. Anyways, he only hand three jars with three tobaccos in it, told me that these were all of the tobaccos he needed to sell.
I asked about tins, but he explained that when he bought the shop that all of the tins were dusty and had surpassed the expiration date on the tins by years, so he threw then all away. I made a mental note that if I ever bought a tin, to keep an eye on the expiration date. I had no idea that they would go bad so fast.

Anyways, the three tobaccos that were all anyone would ever need... One was called black silk, which was pretty much a bulk Captain Black, and the middle one was a cheap bulk Balkan (which he told me the smoky flavor came from a chemical that was added call (Late-A-kill-a), and the third jar was labelled "mature smokers only." Well, I was thinking about the vanilla stuff, because i didn't want that chemical stuff, but I was intrigued by the third jar with the mysterious label. So, I asked him... and he told me, "it's only for "experienced" pipe smokers. Not for beginners."

Well, I didn't want to admit that I was a beginner. Hell, I have a grey beard. So, I bought a few OZ's of the mature stuff, which turned out to be a cherry aromatic. I was so anxious to try the mature stuff, that I fired up a bowl as soon as I made it out to my truck. And, on smoking it on my way home, my mouth was scorched to the point where my tongue was bleeding from being split open. My guess was that it was a chemical burn, scorched my sinuses also.
I soon found The Briary, and unlearned that old man's bullshit.

wordheavy

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2019
Southern California
Totally agree with the article. Smoke what you enjoy. I like all genres of tobacco to some extent, sometimes they alternate as my go to smoke. I gave up on aros a while back; but have since tried, and stocked up on many that I really enjoyed. That's just how I roll.

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
I read your article when I saw it in the other post. Pipe tobacco is very difficult to get here (NZ) before you even start to worry about Aro’s or other blends. I do worry through that I have too many Latakia blends in my cellar that I purchased before the import gates closed here. This year though I have some tobacco plants growing in the vegetable garden. Never thought I would be doing that. Probably unlikely I will ever be turning that leaf into an Aro. Perhaps in the future the only tobacco available may be natural from your back yard grower. That would be interesting.
I would like to grow my own tobacco here on my farm. I have never done so but maybe next year? When should you start the seed and plant etc are questions I have...then harvesting and post harvest. Much to learn but very interesting!

Cotton1

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I had no guide, so I smelled the jars at the Tinderbox in Tacoma and just tried everything. I have enjoyed almost every tobacco I have ever smoked from word go. I was smoking PS Nougat then McClelland Coyote Classic. I had SPC Seattle Evening and Mississippi River and then Lane 1Q. ALl within the first 5 months of picking up a pipe. It was all good. The only tobacco I hated out the gate was 1792. And I found this forum and so never tried Mixture 79 or Captain Black grape. I think your tastes do change, but I wonder what effects other people have on our perceptions.

Oh and Cosmic, I cannot help but wonder what magic tins that old fool threw away. sigh.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Well the evolution may not happen to everyone, but it does happen to many a pipe smoker still. I was drawn in by the sweet smell of the aromatics until I had a mind blowing experience with a smoky english blend.

Most of all it takes time to appreciate and fully understand tobaccos and develop a taste for what you like. It takes time to learn the technique for getting the most out of virginias or an aromatic, it takes time to pick out each of the tobaccos in a complex blend like an English and it takes time to delve into the subtle progression of a single leaf blend.

I stayed away from virginia heavy blends as I was a (canadian 100% virginia) cigarette smoker and it just tasted like cigarettes, until I had and ah ha moment with a vaper. I now enjoy all tobaccos, and process and blend everything I smoke from whole leaf. For me it's always a learning process and I can enjoy any tobacco and see the appeal of it even though I do have my preferences (dark, strong, bold and rich).

So the evolution is different for everyone. For me its followed a standard aro-lat blends-burleys- virginias . But along the way I've enjoyed everything and still do.

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
I like it all. Besides, I spent too long sucking back discount ciggies to complain much about pipe tobacco now! I type this as I toot on an entire bowl of MB HH Latakia Flake. Condiment my white arse!

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Arrrrrg, can't make fun of Mixture 79, Cherry Middleton, corn cob pipes, church wardens.... now aromatics?
Where's my freedomness and libertations? What's next, I won't be able to talk about artisan pipe and Virginia supremacy?

Ha ha, JK... I won't stop making fun of stuff... it's built into my DNA. You'll get my jokes when you rip them from my cold dead mouth... uhhh, errr... something like that. puffy

Can't we all just get along... and joke with one another... and laugh for the sake of brotherhood and camaraderie?
I never intended to make aromatic smokers cry, nor Mix 79 guys hide in the closet and cut themselves. I'm so sorry. And, how many Cherry Middleton smokers have to die of suicide by monoxide poisoning cooped up all alone in an old garage smoking in front of a kerosene heater before we realize that our jokes have power, terrible destructive power.

Uggg, I'm so torn. On one hand, I want to laugh, and on the other... it makes me very sad. puffy
I’m offended...