PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Rather than try to re-tell Part 1, I'll just link to the original thread: (aren't computers great? :lol: )
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/should-this-be-a-fill-or-band-fix
The pipe was indeed sent.
After clearing the project I was in the middle of when it arrived, I set upon it last night and finished the final couple steps this morning. (I love the smell of vulcanite dust in the morning... It smells like victory!)
It will be headed back to its owner Monday. :D
Yo79gky.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
George, the band on the pipe looks perfect.
I love the smell of vulcanite dust in the morning... It smells like victory!
"Ya know, some day this pipe will go back and be smoked..."

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
It's ready for another 20 years or more of smoking now! Well worth the investment I'd say!

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
It's pretty amazing what the right repair can do for a pipe. That band really make the pipe look classy. Well done but given the craftsman, I'd expect nothing less.

meatballj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
What a story all around! I've really enjoyed reading Fnord's attraction to this pipe and George your repair job not only suggests a craftsman's talent but shows us the wonderful people that frequent this forum. There is a humanity to everything about this pipe and that is what makes it a wonderful piece for me...that and I love bulldogs.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
...the band on the pipe looks perfect.
Thanks. Them square 'uns is tricky little devils that will test you for sure. Getting them "perfect" is impossible... it's how close you get that counts. :lol:
(btw --- Those seamless transition, Danish-style metal shank treatments are bands in name only. The process is completely different---they're designed in, not added on.
Getting a thin band to LOOK Danish-flush is always satisfying, though. Square ones especially so. Squares bands are 20X tougher to get shrink-tight on all sides than round or oval.
In fact, by far the most difficult part of banding a pipe like this is "blacksmithing" a round band into a square one before doing anything else. Here's why: 1) the circle must end up EXACTLY the right size after squaring it; 2) what looks like a cube is actually a section of a pyramid (the sides aren't parallel because the shank tapers); and 3) because pipe shanks are finished by hand even when frazed, no two sides are the same length.
Here's what was done for this one:
The problem: (I still have no idea how such a chunk came to be missing)
nMOH6Ey.jpg

The white tape was for initial alignment, the clear tape (so-called hockey tape) was built up to serve as a file guide:
tIVgLLu.jpg

A #4 demi-narrow pillar file (teeth on flats, dead edges) to cut the wood to a depth slightly less than the thickness of the band:
AUbSAg8.jpg

Heat band to expand & press on:
HNvo1H2.jpg

Remove excess:
NrI17Pv.jpg

After it's on it gets a bit of sanding to dead-level, of course. (Don't rely on it much, though, even a top quality sterling band is only about 16-18 thousandths thick).

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
What a classy fellow you are sir for volunteering your talents and your time! I'm so happy for Fnord! The pipe looks wonderful! George, you did an excellent job!

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Amazing work as usual George. I need to find some pipes and get 'em off to you.
Outstanding!

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
A great story with a great ending. Once again the generosity of site members on display. Thanks so much for the repair pictures, a glimpse of the magic that's performed is inspiring for us fumbling newbies.
10941845_10205083429637733_4421311741392337885_n.jpg

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I'll be damned.
That's my pipe.
It's just beautiful, George, and you'll never know how much this means to me. (But, then again, you probably do know.)
Thank you.
Fnord
P.S. And thank you, Kelley.

JPA

Status
Not open for further replies.