PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

writingraav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 11, 2018
William Serad just reported on the Christopher Morley Pipe Club Facebook page that the new owners have decided to discontinue Pipis and Tobacco Magazine. The Spring issue will be the final one. Very sad new for our hobby.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm indeed sorry to hear that. While it was published, it was a remarkable magazine of the highest quality. Congratulations to everyone involved with producing it, editing and writing for it, those who did the beautiful photographs and intelligent graphic design, the exquisite printing, and the many distinguished subjects who appeared within its covered.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Mixed signals. Is the OP the latest news, or is it one step behind?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
P&T editor Cliff Nelson called me to tell me the Spring issue will be the last. And the new owners are letting him go, too. Cliff edited the magazine single handed when Chuck Stanion left, and they saw no value in him? Typical these days of corporate change overs, I suppose, but it's sad that they wouldn't find use for a good, loyal company man on another of their magazines.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The corporate is probably afraid of his tobacco ties. Don't want to offend anyone. :roll: One more sign of things to come.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The corporate is probably afraid of his tobacco ties. Don't want to offend anyone. [:roll:] One more sign of things to come
. You should take a look at the new owner's mission and other holdings before making such pronouncements:
"TMA, a non-profit, member-driven organization that provides its members with information on a variety of tobacco and nicotine issues, has announced that it has acquired the assets of Raleigh, North Carolina-based SpecComm International, Inc. With this acquisition, TMA now owns several popular trade shows–such as the GTNF and TabExpo–and numerous tobacco publications including Tobacco Reporter, Vapor Voice, Tobacco Farm Quarterly, Tobacconist, Pipes & Tobacco and Cigars & Leisure magazines."

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You should take a look at the new owner's mission and other holdings before making such pronouncements:
Corporate BS bores me. That being the case, seems they've shot themselves in the foot letting Cliff Nelson go, and how many of those holdings are they going to keep active?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I can’t help but think about how I never got any emails from P&T, even after I subscribed, or after my subscription lapsed. They were never very interested in promoting themselves, despite having such a great product. I thought that they might use tobaccoreviews.com to better promote the magazine. But even paid advertisers were barely visable. So much more could be done there to give advertisers more value, and to integrate the magazine into the online presence.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I can’t help but think about how I never got any emails from P&T, even after I subscribed, or after my subscription lapsed. They were never very interested in promoting themselves, despite having such a great product. I thought that they might use tobaccoreviews.com to better promote the magazine. But even paid advertisers were barely visable. So much more could be done there to give advertisers more value, and to integrate the magazine into the online presence.
Pretty much my experience as well, which is why I cancelled my subscription. The magazine was hemorrhaging money. Tobacco Reviews is still profitable, so that may possibly continue.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Sad news but not unexpected. The NASPC is still publishing its newsletter. Its very good and a bargain for $22 for six issues. Unfortunately Jeff and Eddie asked for some help with the readership and got a reply from exactly zero from the readership. They may be forced to fold the tent in time.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
This is terrible for Cliff. I feel awful for him.
So Tobacco reviews may just disappear? Is there anyone who wants to try to capture that database before it goes?
kcghost, I just subscribed to NASPC at the end of December for the first time (I don't know what took so long), so I must admit I have no idea about what you are speaking. What did they request?

Status
Not open for further replies.