PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shughes0212

Lurker
Apr 16, 2021
Hi all! Longtime reader first time poster here. I’m wondering if anyone has a lead on a good source for this kind of pipe: 6-8” long, about .7” chamber diameter, 1.25”ish chamber depth, which I’ve seen referred to as mini-(or demi-)churwardens, or ladies’ pipes. I got one a year or two ago out of the no-name Czech pipe basket at my local tobacconist and hardly smoked it until recently when I finally learned how to deal with flake, and now I love it and wish I had a whole rack full of them.
Following a couple of older threads on this site, I’ve found a couple of promising options from EWA, Butz-Choquin, and Genod, but they seem to be out of stock everywhere. Anyone know of a place that carries them?
Also curious if anyone has experience with the Peterson Specialty Calabash, which is in pretty much the same style.
Thanks!

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Hi all! Longtime reader first time poster here. I’m wondering if anyone has a lead on a good source for this kind of pipe: 6-8” long, about .7” chamber diameter, 1.25”ish chamber depth, which I’ve seen referred to as mini-(or demi-)churwardens, or ladies’ pipes. I got one a year or two ago out of the no-name Czech pipe basket at my local tobacconist and hardly smoked it until recently when I finally learned how to deal with flake, and now I love it and wish I had a whole rack full of them.
Following a couple of older threads on this site, I’ve found a couple of promising options from EWA, Butz-Choquin, and Genod, but they seem to be out of stock everywhere. Anyone know of a place that carries them?
Also curious if anyone has experience with the Peterson Specialty Calabash, which is in pretty much the same style.
Thanks!
I don't know the specs but have you looked at a Ginger's Favorite by Savinelli? Fantastic looking pipes.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
A couple of years ago P&C was running a "get a free pipe" promotion. My son-in-law took advantage of the promo and received this H.I.S. churchwarden.

20181011_143821.jpg

20181011_143841.jpg

Is this something you'd be interested in?

H

Hfinn

Here you can find EWA

Reactions: shughes0212

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I got a great deal on a Stanwell Black & White from P&C a couple years ago. Comes with a black demi-churchwarden stem and a regular length bone white stem. Kinda like having 2 pipes in one.
I like the faux military mount styling with black and white acrylic banding. By using coupon codes and buying during their deepest sale, I managed to snag it for around $40.
20210417_114329.jpg
20210309_163712.jpg

shughes0212

Lurker
Apr 16, 2021
A couple of years ago P&C was running a "get a free pipe" promotion. My son-in-law took advantage of the promo and received this H.I.S. churchwarden.

View attachment 75669

View attachment 75670

Is this something you'd be interested in?

Yes, that’s just the shape I’m looking for.

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
Another nice pipe to check out is Savinelli 's Featherweight line of pipes. I've had some up to 7" overall length and Kings Cross featherweight. These usually sell for a decent bargain on e-bay and deliver a great smoke imo.

shughes0212

Lurker
Apr 16, 2021
Figured I’d give an update here: as these things go, as soon as I started looking elsewhere, eBay became suddenly responsive to my desires, and I was able to snag a little Jeantet ladie’s pipe, a BC belgique, and a Sav Qandale for about 100 bucks. Thanks again for the recs and the added momentum! I think I’ve got some good smoking ahead of me.

Reactions: scloyd

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Thanks!

I'm also a big fan of the mini churchwarden as a great flake pipe.

The favorites in my humble collection are the Savinelli King's Cross ones. They are no longer made but will show up on eBay regularly.

I also have a couple Genod mini churchwardens that are good flake pipes. Smoking pipes.com has them listed on fairly regular occasion.

I have one from Butz Choquin & IwanRies.com usually has these in stock.

I do have one of the little Peterson Calabash pipes. In my experience many of the Peterson pipes can be hit & miss - I'm a stickler for a pipe that easily passes a pipe cleaner & I've had a number of Petersons that wouldn't. The little calabash I have does but it tends to smoke hot.

shughes0212

Lurker
Apr 16, 2021

The favorites in my humble collection are the Savinelli King's Cross ones. They are no longer made but will show up on eBay regularly.

I also have a couple Genod mini churchwardens that are good flake pipes. Smoking pipes.com has them listed on fairly regular occasion.

I do have one of the little Peterson Calabash pipes. In my experience many of the Peterson pipes can be hit & miss - I'm a stickler for a pipe that easily passes a pipe cleaner & I've had a number of Petersons that wouldn't. The little calabash I have does but it tends to smoke hot.

Nice! I usually like Petes, but I had been hesitant about the calabash since it’s kind of outside their normal wheelhouse. They’ve got some nice ones on SP right now I might have to spring for at some point.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Glad you found what you were looking for ... more than once! While we are on the subject, EWA the French pipe maker makes quality but very reasonably priced churchwardens. The only retailer I know who carries them is Iwan Ries at their online site. Last I checked, they are about $38, but they are French pipes made with fierce competitive pride, so I think you would be satisfied. Remember to remove the stinger, which is easily done, and the green stain pipe is stamped "lady's" but smokes just like every other pipe. This information is for others, or you if you decide another churchwarden might be good.

shughes0212

Lurker
Apr 16, 2021
The EWA showed up yesterday, by the way, and I am awfully impressed. I smoked a bowl of Orlik’s all the way to the bottom, and it stayed *cool*, not just not hot, but decidedly cool. Looking at it a bit, I realized that there’s some clever internals going on there. The shank is drilled so that it goes down under the bowl a little ways rather than connecting directly to the drawhole, so as to form something of a tiny condensation chamber, which is lined in metal, and then the drawhole drilled into it at an angle at little bit above the bottom of the chamber. Very similar to Peterson’s S31 system straight models. What a clever little thing. I highly recommend them.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Here’s an inexpensive solution that smokes great. Get a MM Marcus from Aristocob and ask Jandy to put the 31/4” stem on it. I bend them in boiling water to create the church warden look. Small conical chamber that meets your size requirement. The perfect mini churchwarden. Enjoy!