PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

skaukatt

Can't Leave
Well, Chicago truned out top be quite productive for me. I have been searching for quite a while for the elusive CK as I have been adding some Author shapes to my collection. I've seen a few on ebay but haven't been so lucky enough to win one, I went to Chicago in the hopes of at least seeing one. Well, a short time before Chicago, a dear friend posted some photos of pipes he was bringing to sell to the show. Many were 1950 Pat. Dunhill's, his birth year. Low and behold, the CK was in the list of photos. I really didn't think I'd have a chance and figured it would be long gone before I got to see him or his table.
At the pre-Show on Friday I saw him and asked if he still had the pipe. He said he did and I made an appointment to go to his room. On the bed were displayed a number of beautiful pipes, his collection is well cared for, in like new shape and simply exquisite. He had many beautiful 1950 Pat. shapes he was selling and right there on the bed was the elusive, CK! Within minutes it was mine. So rewarding to actually find and acquire the exact pipe I was hoping to find. The added bonus was it being a 1950 pat. numbered piece.
Now it's on to the next adventure!
dunhill-ck-1950-pat-150x90.jpg

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Stellar addition my friend. I swear magic happens in the rooms at Chicago. And no, I’m making a crass reference. Some of my best collection pieces have been purchased via private collections in rooms and not at the show.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Someone (can't remember who) told me I HAD to track you and that pipe down before leaving the show---that I MUST see it, because, you know, 1950 CK (!!!) :worship: ---but my old-guy brain didn't rememberize to do it until westbound somewhere in the middle of Iowa.
Shit.
shit shit shit shit shit :lol:
Some NY club member can take bigger photos for you, though, and you'll post 'em here as soon as they do, right? :mrgreen:

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
Congrats! That looks like a real beauty.
Vote seconded for larger photos posted when you have them.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Not a Dunhill fan myself, but even I have to admit that's a beautiful pipe. Great find! :clap:

skaukatt

Can't Leave
Thanks all and yes, George, each time a saw you I didn't have the pipe on me! I sure meant to get to you to take a look, though.
I will post up additional photos including the tenon/stem apart from the shank. It appears as though this is a Dunhill filter pipe, 9mm perhaps, since the tenon's diameter is wide and appears to have a channel to accommodate one, although, other than Dunhill's thin metal tube, and the thin paper tube filters I was not aware of wider filters used on Dunhill pipes.
The next set of photos should tell the tale as you will recognize what I actually have and I'd then ask your advice on smoking it with or without an appropriate adapter.
To be continued...

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
George, I saw Lou's CK at a meeting of the NY club a short while ago. If it's any consolation it's not as cool in person as you'd think; it's much cooler.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
George, I saw Lou's CK at a meeting of the NY club a short while ago. If it's any consolation it's not as cool in person as you'd think; it's much cooler
wow-thanks-i-25ty9z.jpg

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Looks very nice.
Would anyone care to explain what makes it elusive? Is it a rare shape/year/stamp?

Status
Not open for further replies.