PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

magoo65

Lurker
Apr 10, 2013
As a novice pipe smoker, one of the things I've learned is that I love Dunhill. I have a Dinhill pipe and will hopefully add to that at the KC pipe show. I have sleeves of tins in my small cellar of tobaccos I haven't gotten around to trying yet. I've read up on all the Dunhill reviews at tobaccoreviews.com about the current and past offerings from them. I noticed that some are still available but only at the Dunhill stores.
I was talking to my stepfather yesterday and had a great conversation... First, after 15+ years of smoking pipes, I talked him into buying a couple tins of tobacco instead of B&M bulk aromatics. He got a tin of FM Cellar and a tin of Escudo but I don't think he's tried them yet. The second bit of good news is that he's going to London for a couple weeks on business.
My question is... What tobaccos should I ask him to get? Baby's Bottom is the only one on the list thus far but I'm looking for suggestions.
Thanks

Ryan

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
I don't think you can get the handlblended tins at the dunhill store anymore.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
If your stepfather is to visit London, have him bring back for you St. Bruno Flake. It's a great tobacco and is not available this side of the pond. St. Bruno is an OTC blend available throughout the UK. Great smoke. As for Dunhill tobaccos they are no longer made by Dunhill in the UK, but by Orlick in DN, and are available here in the USA no problem. Dunhill London Mixture and Nightcap are my favorites. I think Dunhill's Baby's Bottom has long been discontinued.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
+1 on St. Bruno. Great, great stuff. I think you can get it in flake or rubbed. Not sure about that. Either way, don't miss getting tins of it.
Another to think about is Condor. It is a little rough, but nice for a strong change of pace.

magoo65

Lurker
Apr 10, 2013
Well that's disappointing. I knew Orlik was blending under the Dunhill trademark and I assumed they made some specifically for the Dunhill stores since tobaccoreviews didn't specifically say "no longer in production".
Oh well. I'll have him look into the suggestions you guys have made.

Thanks

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
I would suggest getting home both blue and yellow Capstan. They are both good, but personally I prefere the yellow.

Three nuns, if you can't get it locally.

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
@magoo65 I was in London a few weeks back and went into JJ Fox's and there was a fairly decent selection of tinned tobaccos including Dunhill, Samuel Gawaith, Foxs and I forget what else. Very nice service and a beautiful shop. Davidoff is on the same street, but I only needed a couple tins so I didn't go in. fox's website is JJ Fox St James Street in London. I'd say one of the two might have something that isn't easy for you to get a hold of at home. Plus, Churchill bought his cigars from Fox's if thats anything to ya. Very close on foot to the Green Park tube station and there's a beautiful park there as well. Its a very upscale neighbourhood in London, I didn't feel very comfortable in the area as I tend to prefer lower rent areas, not that anyone was snooty or anything; its my own problem.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Magoo:
I can't speak for any Dunhill stores outside the U.S., but all of the U.S. Dunhill stores -- including the flagship 5th Avenue store in Manhattan -- have stopped carrying any tobacco-related products. That includes cigars, pipes, pipe tobacco, and any smoking accessories.
Bob

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Welcome to the forums Magoo.
Unfortunately I cannot help with the England trip...
First, after 15+ years of smoking pipes, I talked him into buying a couple tins of tobacco instead of B&M bulk aromatics. He got a tin of FM Cellar and a tin of Escudo but I don't think he's tried them yet. The second bit of good news is that he's going to London for a couple weeks on business.
Nice - hope you'll let us know what he thinks of them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I am most curious to know what Dunhill sells in its Manhattan store unrelated to tobacco? What is/are

their other product lines? One of the old dictums of business is "know what business you're in," and

if they are selling unrelated products under the Dunhill name, this is not promising for their line of pipes

and tobaccos. So what's their inventory in the Manhattan store?

Status
Not open for further replies.