The Downside of a Zippo, or Beginner's Mistake?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
One of the reasons i hate them, grabbed my dads one day, had that red inflamed welt on my leg for a couple days lol After that it was more about the taste, not that I didn't know how to use it or let it turn off when first lighting, just very sensitive to the lighter fluid.
Once I figured out what the hell had burned my leg, I learned how to let it dry out before sticking it in my pocket. I had a Zippo in my pocket for years and years. Once I learned there were other types of lighters, I tried them all. I still have a lighter fetish to this day.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

nolan613

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 21, 2019
Augusta, GA
Had a Zippo back in High School, 1960-64. Would mix with English Leather to improve the smell with the girls. Have found that using a rubber base fir the cotton packing reduces evaporation.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and JOHN72

sugardaddy

Lurker
Sep 30, 2022
My problem with ZIPPO would be evaporation.
It doesn't last long, I don't know what to do to reduce this effect. I know it usually evaporates, but it's a lot.
Mine lasts longer than a week, and the gas is super cheap, because i use the "white gas" from walmart. It's the off-brand of coleman fuel and it works really well.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
Ive been using a 45 degree butane insert for my zippo. I obviously dont have to refill the lighter nearly as much and I dont get any lighter fluid flavor.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains