Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

This photo shows the colour of the shavings from the tobacco chamber of a plateau block that was in the show room at the Charatan factory in 1972. As well as being darker in colour it is also harder wood. The lighter colour is newer plateau from Tuscany that I have naturally dried for two years. The wood is so much softer and more enjoyable to work with.
When I finish these two pieces, I will post some pics before they are stained.DSC07654.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Do you see this color difference (and hardness difference) in aged wood often?

Not that 47 year old wood is commonly available, but I'm trying to think of how one might demonstrate the difference is, at least mostly, due to age difference and not some other phenomenon.

I suppose one could fairly reasonably obtain wood samples from different geographic locations and from various sections of the root ball to rule out those two possibilities which would be a step in the right direction.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
My father's house was built by my great great grandfather in 1871. When my dad was doing some work in the bathroom he had to drill through the original floor, which was chestnut. Burned up two bits before he got through.

That made me think about old salvaged hardwood logs from the Great Lakes... I know there are salvagers that harvest old logs out of the lakes. Wonder what a oak pipe made out of that would be like...?

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
vwlsUXG.jpg

Funny I just finished this one, 20 years this wood was sitting. That's a single coat of Tung. Very dark indeed.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
That’s interesting. So that explains why back in the day so many pipes either weren’t stained or barely had any. Because the aged briar was so dark already!
I don't think most briar was aged a long time, honestly, there's absolutely no evidence of this, and lots of evidence to the contrary. The pipes we see now are dark because they were made 70 years ago. But when they were made, they would have been much lighter. "50 year old briar" quite literally refers to the age of the tree when the wood is harvested, no one ever sat on mountains of cut briar for 50 years (making 400,000 pipes a year, can you imagine the warehousing costs?).

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

This photo shows the colour of the shavings from the tobacco chamber of a plateau block that was in the show room at the Charatan factory in 1972. As well as being darker in colour it is also harder wood. The lighter colour is newer plateau from Tuscany that I have naturally dried for two years. The wood is so much softer and more enjoyable to work with.
When I finish these two pieces, I will post some pics before they are stained.View attachment 25069
Veryy, very interesting! I'm looking forward to seeing what you make from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.