PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
"There's more of gravy than of grave about you..."
Last night I was restless; so, with the wife fast asleep at my side, I spent the majority of my evening rereading Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol (in Prose, Being a Ghost-Story of Christmas). I must admit, it filled me with the holiday spirit (pun intended); so much so, I've dedicated the day to watching the vast catalog of A Christmas Carol films (with smoldering pipe in hand, of course).
It has been interesting viewing the unique interpretations of the Dickens' classic in succession, admiring the evolution of the tale (and film as an art-form) as time marches on.
I'm curious, what are fellow forum members opinions and preferred versions of A Christmas Carol (if you have one)? Perhaps a favorite director, or actor?

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
Love the Alastair Sim version from 1951 is probably seen as the definitive one, but I also like the George C Scott film from 1984.

The animated film with Jim Carey's voice was surprisingly faithful and and a great watch!

The BBC did a fantastic Radio version a few years ago that was very atmospheric.
I am a huge fan of this story and watch a film version of it at least twice every Christmas season!

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Well we have two that we watch every year. One stars the muppets and Michael Cain. The other has Patrick Stewart. Both of these delve more into the book and back story.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
The one with George C. Scott is my favorite.

The animated version with Jim Carey runs a close second.

Scrooged with Bill Murray is third best and definitely the funniest.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
The classic version to me is the Alastair Sim version, but I equally enjoy the Mr. Magoo version as well as Mickey's Christmas Carol and of course Scrooged.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I prefer the Alastair Sims version because that's what I watched back in my youth in the 50's. I have a DVD with both the old B&W and the color remake. I like the old B&W version better because it puts me in the Christmas Spirit more so then the color.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I've actually enjoyed every movie version of that story I've ever seen. My favorite Christmas tale ever is Gift of the Magi by that wily, embezzling bastard O. Henry. It's beautiful.

downinit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2016
One of my favorite versions is one that you'll love or hate and that is the 1970 "Scrooge" with Albert Finney. It is I think the only musical version and a lot of people hate the music. It does have great acting and and a great performance from Alec Guinness (except when he sings).

From an expert on Dickens: It must be said that Finney's depiction of the miserly old curmudgeon is superb and he, justifiably, won a Golden Globe for The Best Motion Picture Actor in a Musical/Comedy.

... this is a terrific version of the Carol and the songs, although not particularly memorable, are most certainly catchy and you find yourself humming them at the most inopportune of moments.

(a list of) A Christmas Carol Film Adaptations

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I love the original text.
Actually, it's hard for me to pick a favorite. The Sims version and the Scott version are very watchable to me. The musical with Albert Finney is the first adaptation I remember seeing, and I like it quite well. Orson Welles's Mercury Theater did a couple versions of A Christmas Carol for radio, one with Lionel Barrymore and one with Welles himself as Scrooge; both are a fun listen.
One I enjoyed as a kid, which I doubt few will remember, was Rich Little's A Christmas Carol (aired on HBO), with Little playing nearly all the major characters himself, including his impersonation of W.C. Fields as ol' Ebenezer. Corny but fun stuff. :puffy:

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
Over the next few weeks the version starring Patrick Stewart and the animation featuring Jim Carey will be in regular rotation at home. Those 2 are by far and away my favorite adaptions, they really capture the atmosphere of the novel in my opinion.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Sims, George C. Scott, Finney and Stewart versions are my favorite versions. Murray and Carey would be right behind them.

The ones I don't like are the ones where they try to hard to make it "relatable" for the politically correct crowd. I've never seen one with a female "Scrooge" that I've like for example. No offense to the female members but Scrooge was written as a despicable old man.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
Among the others listed here, I like Patrick Stewart's and George C. Scott's. There is also "An American Christmas Carol" with Henry Winkler from 1979. It was an interesting twist and I thought pretty well executed.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Do try reading "A Christmas Carol." Though there have been many good film and stage interpretations, the original is a different experience.
Some of the best Christmas films aren't great films in a critical sense but are great as rituals. Maybe "A Wonderful Life" is good sentimental melodrama. "A White Christmas" is a strange script and a little stiff with the acting but is a favorite with many. "The Wizard of Oz" isn't even a Christmas film but has that element of fantasy that makes it work especially viewed with kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.