The Deep Bowl. Interesting Topics For the Chuff!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
For the "chuff"? I'll be chuffed when I understand that reference/use.

Oh, I may have it wrong lol!

Not sure where I heard this, but my understanding was it’s that period when you’re smoking your pipe and you’re past the char, into the bowl, and everything is going just right. “Chuffing along like a steam engine.” But with less smoke of course :)

“In the chuff.” ?‍♂️

Reactions: Lyle b

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Ah! Here’s ole Eddie Gray with “in the Chuff.” It’s entirely possible this is where I heard it...

”...hear the gentle sizzle of a pipe that's "in the chuff," smell the aroma of a fine tobacco blend...”

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
“In the chuff.”

This is good lesson in how important a thread title is. The thread will likely now be mostly about "the chuff".

I hadn't heard it before either, so I looked it up.

It does mean "puffing" more or less, but I came across a slang meaning as well...probably better not to elaborate on that, but let's just say "in the chuff" could mean something very different lol.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, steam trains chuff all right, and I guess some smokers chuff away pipe wise.

But I went to the adjective, as used mainly in the UK- being very pleased about something. "She was chuffed that Jack always did something to please her"; "He was chuffed that his new pipe arrived and was even better than he expected."

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
But I went to the adjective, as used mainly in the UK- being very pleased about something. "She was chuffed that Jack always did something to please her"; "He was chuffed that his new pipe arrived and was even better than he expected."

"When she discovered how much he'd spent on pipes and tobacco recently, Jack got no chuff for several weeks."

Status
Not open for further replies.