PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
So I figured I'll break out a pipe after my almost 12 month break from smoking completely... I took out a new pipe which I had never smoked an NOS small time artisan pipe. I placed it in an ozone treatment for an hour - lo and behold(stand by on a photo later) the solid black matte finish turned into a glassy looking a bluish silvery iridescent shiny stem - like those you'll find that some would consider fancy - What the heck!? oxidation - I mean I'm not completely unhappy and it kind of adds character - but what gives - what began as what I thought as an ebonite/rubber black stem turned into what I'd consider in my mind an acrylic mouthpiece.
As for the smoke - it was quite enjoyable - some Mac Baren Virgina flakes from 2002 courtesy of a spectacular member. Can anyone explain this?

Reactions: danimalia

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
I look forward to the pictures. Why the ozone treatment? Ozone is O3 and a powerful oxidizer. The ozone treatment probably caused very rapid oxidation. Perhaps the rate of oxidation creates different optical properties.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Maybe that will turn out to be a controlled, durable oxidation, like the blueing on a fine rifle, and ward off less desirable changes.

You might be on to something...

Yes, before and after pics, if you have them, would be interesting.

1589765834689.jpeg

Reactions: danimalia

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
So what you have here is a selection of photos - the right side of the stem upon shining the light gives a transparent acrylic type of lucite iridescent look(navy BLUE to silver effect). Almost like a clear look to it while rotating under light. But as you notice from afar it's still black - I still don't know what this is actually made of - unlikely bakelite ? I've seen pipe stems like this online.
I used O3 because it was purchased from a thrift shop and I don't know where it's been. Anyway, see if you can add to this mystery.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
So what you have here is a selection of photos - the right side of the stem upon shining the light gives a transparent acrylic type of lucite iridescent look(navy BLUE to silver effect). Almost like a clear look to it while rotating under light. But as you notice from afar it's still black - I still don't know what this is actually made of - unlikely bakelite ? I've seen pipe stems like this online.
I used O3 because it was purchased from a thrift shop and I don't know where it's been. Anyway, see if you can add to this mystery.

Yup, that's a pipe alright