PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
After reading many reviews praising The Country Squire's blends I picked up a few to sample.

After recently finishing a couple ounces of Old Toby my review is quite simple - this stuff is outstanding!

It's a burley/virginia/perique concoction with a very sweet vanilla/caramel/sugar topping. Marvelous pouch note that translates pretty well flavor-wise when you smoke it. One of those tobaccos where I think, "Wow, this stuff is great!" as I burn through a bowl. While it arrived pretty damp it burned & stayed lit well. Mild yet very satisfying. Incredible room note. Minimal goop in the bottom of the bowl.

Overall Old Toby is remarkably reminiscent of Sutliff's Molto Dolce & Creme Brulee. If you like those blends you'd definitely appreciate Old Toby.

Old Toby is actually the second blend from The Country Squire I've tried, the first being their holiday offering Figgy Pudding, which was also freakin' delicious.

Next up are Rivendell & Second Breakfast. If they're anything like the first two I've tried I'm in for a treat...

Jan 8, 2013
After reading many reviews praising The Country Squire's blends I picked up a few to sample.

After recently finishing a couple ounces of Old Toby my review is quite simple - this stuff is outstanding!

It's a burley/virginia/perique concoction with a very sweet vanilla/caramel/sugar topping. Marvelous pouch note that translates pretty well flavor-wise when you smoke it. One of those tobaccos where I think, "Wow, this stuff is great!" as I burn through a bowl. While it arrived pretty damp it burned & stayed lit well. Mild yet very satisfying. Incredible room note. Minimal goop in the bottom of the bowl.

Overall Old Toby is remarkably reminiscent of Sutliff's Molto Dolce & Creme Brulee. If you like those blends you'd definitely appreciate Old Toby.

Old Toby is actually the second blend from The Country Squire I've tried, the first being their holiday offering Figgy Pudding, which was also freakin' delicious.

Next up are Rivendell & Second Breakfast. If they're anything like the first two I've tried I'm in for a treat...
I find it superior to Molto Dolce with better flavor and a better burn as well. Rivendell, by the way, is fantastic as well. But between the two, Old Toby is my favorite.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Old Toby is one of my absolute favorite (if not favorite) aromatics out there. I also like Molto Dolce, but I find Old Toby to have a little hint of an almost cinnamon like kitchen spice flavor to it, that makes it slightly more complex and it doesn't taste or smell as much like it's been sprayed to hell and back with goo (although it is pretty goopy in general, just not quite sutliff goopy). It reminds of bread pudding or french toast. An excellent aro, the flavor really comes through in the smoke.

If you like english blends don't miss their Shepherd's pie, or their aromatic english Hunting Creek either. But especially Shepherd's Pie.

Jan 8, 2013
but I find Old Toby to have a little hint of an almost cinnamon like kitchen spice flavor to it, that makes it slightly more complex and it doesn't taste or smell as much like it's been sprayed to hell and back with goo (although it is pretty goopy in general, just not quite sutliff goopy).
That would be the perique. It truly makes the blend what it is. I'm surprised there seem to be so few aros with perique, because it adds another element which works wonderfully!

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Old Toby is one of my absolute favorite (if not favorite) aromatics out there. I also like Molto Dolce, but I find Old Toby to have a little hint of an almost cinnamon like kitchen spice flavor to it, that makes it slightly more complex and it doesn't taste or smell as much like it's been sprayed to hell and back with goo (although it is pretty goopy in general, just not quite sutliff goopy). It reminds of bread pudding or french toast. An excellent aro, the flavor really comes through in the smoke.

If you like english blends don't miss their Shepherd's pie, or their aromatic english Hunting Creek either. But especially Shepherd's Pie.
I must have a bad batch....mine is the stickiest goopiest blend I have ever encountered. I have never had a goopy Sutliff blend.

Reactions: danimalia

wordheavy

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2019
Southern California
I really enjoy Old Toby and Rivendell. Both great blends and I am not sure which I like better. I was done with aros before experiencing Old Toby. I was actually shocked at how great it was.

Reactions: trouttimes

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I really enjoy Old Toby and Rivendell. Both great blends and I am not sure which I like better. I was done with aros before experiencing Old Toby. I was actually shocked at how great it was.
Yeah it also rekindled a desire to explore aros again for me after a long stint with none. Its on another level for sure.

Reactions: wordheavy

Pausch

Lurker
Apr 19, 2020
York, New York
Well I read this review a few weeks ago and decided to order Old Toby and Rivendell. The tobacco arrived and I opened up Old Toby first. It had a smell that initially turned me off but I packed a pipe and smoked it. Well to say I was surprised is an understatement. What a great smoke. It is one of those tobacco blends that says “sit down and enjoy“. You could savor this all day.

Spavilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 6, 2020
Gulf Coast of Florida
Recently ordered Old Toby as part of a sampler pack from Country Squire. Top notch organization and the gal I spoke with (sorry forgot her name) was a gem. This smoke was quite pleasant and although I haven't tried alll of them yet, will be reordered in bulk along with Rivendell.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
I too love Old Toby! To me, it's always tasted like "Yellow Cake"TM. I think the review I put in my own notes was simply "Smells like yellow cake, tastes like it too! Great!"

I learned recently it had perique which I had never noticed before, a very cool blend!

Status
Not open for further replies.