PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Lyon0oq

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 31, 2012
New Providence, NJ
Currently on a job in Atlanta for a few months, and I did not know the next time I would be anywhere near Jackson Mississippi. So this weekend I am heading over to do a one day pilgrimage to The Country Squire. Originally John David and I were going to sit and have a smoke, but a family situation has called him away this weekend. If there's anyone from the community who is local to Jackson, and would like to meet up with me for a bowl and a chat on Saturday, that would be great. Just shoot me a PM!

black-logo-512px.png

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Sebastopol, CA
New shop looks great -- and I believe I heard about your visit / missing JD on one of their recent podcasts, right? I've got a postponed trip through Mississippi in mind (beginning in Memphis or maybe with a quick sidetrip to eastern Tenn where a colleague who is just the best guy lives), and including Jackson is on the itinerary.

• Wow
Reactions: Lyon0oq

Lyon0oq

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 31, 2012
New Providence, NJ
New shop looks great -- and I believe I heard about your visit / missing JD on one of their recent podcasts, right? I've got a postponed trip through Mississippi in mind (beginning in Memphis or maybe with a quick sidetrip to eastern Tenn where a colleague who is just the best guy lives), and including Jackson is on the itinerary.
Yes, lol, after he read my letter to Raptor Steve.

Reactions: EssJaySea

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
They ought to rename the podcast "J.D. and the Empty Suit". J.D. is super informative but the other guy is simply a waste of space.
I find they have an interesting chemistry, being long time buddies. I enjoy the back and forth they have. I’m not sure it would work being just J.D. without needing to have regular guests. Also, I think it’s kind of an industry expert and a relative novice dynamic. I think that Bo lends a good bit of creative input as well. Some of the new discussion features they are planning to work out seem like they will be pretty engaging.

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Sebastopol, CA
I find they have an interesting chemistry, being long time buddies. I enjoy the back and forth they have. I’m not sure it would work being just J.D. without needing to have regular guests. Also, I think it’s kind of an industry expert and a relative novice dynamic. I think that Bo lends a good bit of creative input as well. Some of the new discussion features they are planning to work out seem like they will be pretty engaging.
I wanted to respond directly to your post because I 100% agree about the dynamic between them, right down to the "expert" vs. "novice" dynamic -- which runs two ways, right? J.D. is the pipe and tobacco expert and Bo is the podcasting expert, so I think that has given it a good balance and been a strength.

And then to your last sentence -- I think on the podcast after they did a first of their new features, Bo talked about how some people will respond with "I liked it how it was" and made those people sound like old codgers. And I'm one of them! I don't have young kids so the Dads talking doesn't interest me and my literary tastes are so ... my own, that I'm not sure I'll enjoy those discussions either. When I listen to a podcast about pipes and tobacco... I am really listening for that. I'm expecting to listen to some and not listen to others -- but I know things have to evolve!

I would still try to swing through Jackson if I ever make my Miss trip happen. And the new store looks great.

Reactions: hawky454

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
If I ever get down to the States, I'd like to make a special trip to The Country Squire. They've become my go to place to order tobacco from