Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Here is the first picture by smokingpipes
RonAqzk.jpg

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Damp enough that there is no risk of fire.
That is what the guy who works for the gas station told me on a rainy day when I informed him about the leak that the hose of the fuel dispenser had.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The Chicago Pipe Show is quite the event. I really enjoyed myself the one and only time that I was there. But, to be honest, the venue is depressing. May is cold, windy and rainy in St. Charles. The hotel is dated and dog-eared. The show floor is a cavernous, bland industrial warehouse structure and the smoking tent, the heart of the show, is cold and very poorly ventilated. Plus, the location is in the middle of nowhere, an hour west of Chicago.
The people are great, the show organizers do an absolutely fantastic job and I suppose that trumps a lousy setting. But it could be so much more if it was held in downtown Chicago at a quality location, at a more temperate time of year. Of course, that would raise the price, but it would also potentially increase attendance by doubling as a family vacation event. But then, it runs into the nanny state of Chicago and the ban on indoor smoking.
sigh

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Plus, the location is in the middle of nowhere, an hour west of Chicago.
West Chicago... middle of nowhere? I do agree with some of your other points, but it is what it is. I didn't think I would return this year, but I can't help myself. I think it's a great event and I like the St. Charles/Geneva area of Chicago.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
OK, St. Charles, IL isn't "nowhere", but it isn't Chicago. You can't walk to anything, or hop on public transit and go to a great museum or restaurant or drug-infested neighborhood. Of course, I can't do that at my house, either, which is my argument for holding the show in a city with a higher entertainment value.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I have to agree with Woods. It's farther from the city than O'Haire then it's out in the middle of nowhere.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Wish I could make it, but I think I'll have to wait for the NASPC show in Columbus. Have a great time, all!
Tim

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Hell I live in Chicago and I wish it was closer. But that sounds like whinning since people are coming from long distances.

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
Woodsroad, mostly true but for me the opportunity to spend time with some of my favorite people is the basic draw. Yes the pipes are fantastic, there's an international flair, and side programs for those interested, but where else can you spend hours into the early morning talking pipes and tobacco? Room hopping is an adventure in itself. One never knows who you will run into. I too wish that we could smoke other places than the tent (outdoors is cold and wet, the old owners quarters are reportedly closed) but all in all well worth it.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
The wife would insist we attend if it was in the downtown area. A worn out hotel with next to nothing for her to do means a non-starter.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

The wife would insist we attend if it was in the downtown area. A worn out hotel with next to nothing for her to do means a non-starter.
The wife aspect is tricky. I made it work last year and plan the same routine this year. We stay at a hotel that allows dogs. That's number one. If my wife has the dog with her then it occupies her and gives her someone to hang out with. We visit the various parks along the Fox River, hit the fancy chocolate shop in Geneva, and have a nice dinner out at one of the many restaurants in St. Charles and/or Geneva. That's Friday after stopping at the smoking tent for the swap/sell.
I then treat her to breakfast, and head back down for a walk along the river. She enjoys walking around the show and looking at everything. It may not be shoe shopping, but it's still got a shopping feel, which she likes.
Lastly, there's a restaurant on the way back home in Indiana called The Farmhouse that sits right off the highway. We stop there and I treat her to another nice meal before making the home stretch.
I lucked out, in that, I found a routine that works for us both so that she wants to go. Although, the weather forecast has her making remarks that she may stay home with the dog instead.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
I also dragged the Mrs. along last year. We stayed near O'Hare, went to the city more than I wanted to, and spent a small fortune on things that were (sadly) not pipe or tobacco related. I do agree with Dan. The show is awesome. The location and venue? Ok for grubby ol' me, not so much for her. I won't be making the trip this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.