PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
In a college town nearby I took note of a collector of returnable cans to cash in to supplement his taxed SSI check. He was dragging a cart behind bent over with Salvation Army clothing. He had a well worn pipe clenched. The next time I saw him I gave him some tobac and a new pipe. His smile and thank you made my day.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I am just shocked people can still return cans. I thought that was done away with. Good move though. Though honestly he might be a Howard (a guy I work with, real freak but everyone likes him) dude has money and spends it's like it's his life force, has no kids or wife and our theory is his will asks for his wealth to be buried with him.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Michigan State alumni may remember Ernie the Can Man.

Ernie had a degree, but chose to collect cans at every tailgate. He looked homeless with an unkempt beard, but lived in his parents home in the Capital Area.

Students would place empties in a pile for Ernie to make it easier for him. I never heard a bad word uttered about Ernie. The State News had a nice article about Ernie when he passed away. He was a fixture at tailgates, like Johnny Spirit (the bearded man who painted himself green and rode a bicycle).

Reactions: anotherbob
Michigan State alumni may remember Ernie the Can Man.

Ernie had a degree, but chose to collect cans at every tailgate. He looked homeless with an unkempt beard, but lived in his parents home in the Capital Area.

Students would place empties in a pile for Ernie to make it easier for him. I never heard a bad word uttered about Ernie. The State News had a nice article about Ernie when he passed away. He was a fixture at tailgates, like Johnny Spirit (the bearded man who painted himself green and rode a bicycle).
All we had at Stanford was a tree..... Boy did that tree think we were all really weird... puffy

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
In a college town nearby I took note of a collector of returnable cans to cash in to supplement his taxed SSI check. He was dragging a cart behind bent over with Salvation Army clothing. He had a well worn pipe clenched. The next time I saw him I gave him some tobac and a new pipe. His smile and thank you made my day.
Please tell me you asked him what he smoked? Pipe or tobacco?