PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I know there are tons of threads and posts out there, but I don't want to mess this up, lol, and thinking a pic would focus the issue.

Picked up this estate awhile back and it is and will be my only Dunhill. Stem has looked great since receiving but finally gave the pipe a whirl and within a day or two this showed up. A little oxidation and looks like maybe some minor work done as well, underside is similar.

I could put some Obsidian oil on it, but wouldn't it just mask what is underneath?

I'd rather address the root issue, if that is something I can address, and looking for advice and thanks!

05239FE1-5976-4D56-BD0D-3BBB3828538C.jpeg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
On the bright side, at least the stem looks bright and spiffy otherwise. My one "Dunhill" is a Ferndown, since the carver, Les Wood, was a Dunhill carver and metalsmith at the beginning of his career. I think he is mostly retired now, since I don't see his pipes listed as new. My Ferndown was a magnanimous gift from a fellow Forums member who sent me some tobacco he didn't like (and I did) and added the Ferndown. I missed it until he asked me how I liked the pipe, and sure enough, there it was in the packing paper.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I know there are tons of threads and posts out there, but I don't want to mess this up, lol, and thinking a pic would focus the issue.

Picked up this estate awhile back and it is and will be my only Dunhill. Stem has looked great since receiving but finally gave the pipe a whirl and within a day or two this showed up. A little oxidation and looks like maybe some minor work done as well, underside is similar.

I could put some Obsidian oil on it, but wouldn't it just mask what is underneath?

I'd rather address the root issue, if that is something I can address, and looking for advice and thanks!

View attachment 191812
Please, not again LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkeyeLinus