PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Just came back from a Med cruise. This year there were four pipe smokers, including me.

One old chap from Yorkshire only smoked one brand, obtaing it from his indoor market.

I asked if we could swop a bowl of tobacco so we could try the others blend. He said he didn’t like to try anything else smoking his blend for years, but he would give me a bowl of his

gawith-hoggarth black-irish-x-unsliced, it was a chewing tobacco.

Great and very strong, but not as good as E A Carey’s Sliced Black Twist.

The brotherhood of pipe smoking, you can’t beat it.

Nice to try this tobacco.

And what a nice guy.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Good story, glad you had someone to smoke with on the cruise.
BTW, I love to chew Black Irish X. I do it frequently. Too bad it is now a PITA to obtain, always out of stock in the states.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I'm with Mike. Observing another pipe smoker out and about would be like observing Halley's Comet.
I went out Lunting with my son, we got weird looks. :|

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Mike I took two Falcon pipes and a clay for small smokes. Problem was lighter malfunction. Had to pick up an emergency lighter. Next time will be more prepared!

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
Yeah, it's not all that common to see a pipe smoker in public. Once in a blue moon.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The brown rope is supposed to be even fuller strength than the black, but the black was good enough for me. I like to rotate the full strength, even to an aromatic or other mild blend, so I still get that full "wow" when I get back to the high test leaf. After a big meal, full strength is the ticket.

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
So what do you guys do then when you go somewhere for a week or more. It would be the same if you were flying somewhere. Do you just bring a boatload of matches?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've taken good butane lighters aboard airplanes. As long as they're not the torch variety, they said I was ok to take them. But policies change. So a BIC and a few books or boxes of matches should be fine.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
After using a pipe lighter I can’t go back to a regular one, I burn my fingers like crazy.
Finger scorching with a regular lighter indicates you're dipping the flame down towards the tobacco. Instead, hold it upright or parallel to the bowl and draw the flame to near the tobacco. A better light (at lower temp) will be the result. And no burnt pinkies.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Last time I flew I took an Old Boy with me. THey sure got a kick out of it with five TSA agents, including a supervisor, looking at it and igniting it over and over. They let me take it on board but it seemed they were getting a kick out it. One agent said they had not seen a lighter like that before.
Funny thing was I was flying to Texas and had a round trip ticket. Due to a major delay, the airline stuck me on another flight from a different company. I got flagged for only having a one way ticket on this new airline so they went through everything I had. They got a kick out of my pipes and wanted me to open a sealed tin that I had been saving for years. I popped it for them since it was going to be opened when I got to Texas anyway. Well, that and they had taken my shoes away for analysis so I was not in much of a bargaining position.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Michael, if it'd been me I'd probably have worked the guilt trip thing on them, but it probably wouldn't have worked anyway. "OK, I'll do it. [sad look] Really hate it -- this is 10 years old & the last factory tin of it available in this half of the country. The company doesn't even exist any more; it hasn't been made it for years. I was going to give it to my son for his 25th birthday in November. Now it's ruined. -sigh-"

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Matches in discrete quantities haven't raised any questions. A box or two in carry-on, and more in check-in.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pretty rare to encounter another pipe smoker in public. Pipe shops and shows are about the only places. I tried to strike up a chat with a fella in the grocery parking lot, but he either had been hassled about his pipe or he was just in a hurry; he said he smoked Prince Albert and marched off in a different direction. I did encounter one true pipe devotee in a friend of my wife's in Queens, when we were visiting him and his wife; he's knowledgeable and opinionated and good company on the subject. Met another pipe smoker at a physical rehab place after my wife's hip surgery, older guy who also smoked PA. I bought him two pipes, though I think his may have been spirited away because they didn't want him to smoke. Tough situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.