PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
http://www.briarshoppe.com/
Probably the only true "pipe shop" left in Houston. There may be one or two shops out there somewhere that carry a few things, but this one is the only one I know that has a large selection of high end pipes (Petes, Sav's, Dunhills, Nordings, etc.) on display, as well as the no-names and baskets.
They have a walk in cigar humidor, lots of the typical accessories (racks, humidors, lighters, cleaners, fluids, cutters, etc.), as well as a wine selection. I didn't scope prices to hard, as I wasn't really trying to comparison check, but they did have an $850 Dunhill and a $7.95 MM. There is a moderate selection of tins, and about 20 jars of bulk.
As I noted in an earlier post, I walked out with a decent no-name church warden, 1 oz. of bulk, and a bundle of long length cleaners for under $24. All was on sale for 20% off, but still not bad.
I may make an effort to purchase a higher end pipe from them in the future, just to do my part. And will likely stop in semi-regular just to pick up some bulks or whatever. They did seem to be doing a bit of pipe trade, and not just cigar, while we wee there. As well, they have a small smoking section up front.
Houston is a big city, but if you were flying or driving in to visit the Medical Center, Energy Corridor, or the Downtown Business District, you would not be out of line in making a trip there. The shop itself is located in Rice Village, and there is ample moderate to high end shopping and eating literally in safe walking distance from the shop, so it would not be unreasonable for the men to hang out and smoke a pipe, while the ladies walked through the Village.
img20120602133136.jpg

img20120602133151.jpg

img20120602133158.jpg

img20120602134842.jpg

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
wow, nice store. Its funny you bought a pipe, tobacco, and cleaners for what I pay for a tin of tobacco. You did well... :clap:

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I actually frequent this shop often. It is an a very old part of Houston just down the road from Rice University. The area is full of eccentrics so the shopping goes from very high end to small niche shops. Just down the block is the only modle shop in all of Houston.
Prices on baccy are great. The bulks are very good and the staff (mostly women ) are very seasoned and knowledgable.
They actually do a great sale every year at Christmas. All December everything in the store is 20% off and they almost sell out of everything.
I feel their pipe prices otherwise are a bit high. I bought a pipe from one of our sponsors here for $20 less they wanted for it in the shop, including shipping.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I forgot to mention.
The way they showcase their pipes is pretty cool. Looking at the wall the pipes on the left are the cheapest. The further right you go the more expensive you get. Then you get down into the cases and go from right to left increasing in price.
It helps cut down on trying to find a pipe in your range. Just tell them your budget and they will tell you where to look. They also have no problems showing the higher end pipes. I was surprised the first time I went in there and was admiring pipes way out of my range. They pulled them all out and just left them on the counter for me to drool over while they helped someone else. You don't find that trust a lot of places any more. There must have been a thousand dollars in pipes in front of me.

lab1dobie

Might Stick Around
Mar 11, 2012
Very inviting looking store. I always enjoy checking out local tobaconnists to see what they carry check local blends. Always fun!

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
I feel their pipe prices otherwise are a bit high. I bought a pipe from one of our sponsors here for $20 less they wanted for it in the shop, including shipping.
well, meat is cheaper at WalMart compared to the butcher shop, as well.
Pipes&Cigars get to sell their pipes to folks in all states, and likely overseas. Volume keeps their margins down, As well, most any blend they sell is going to have at least a couple dozen people ordering it, whereas a B&M has to be careful in ordering too many blends, lest they get stuck with a pound or two that won't move at all.
When you walk into the shop, you get to see, feel, and touch everything. You can compare, directly, 5 or 6 similar grade pipes. You can smell the bulks. You can ask for a sample. You can smoke in the shop. You can be part of the experience.
I buy online for most purchases. But I am sure I will be back to the Briar Shoppe on occasion, and will be glad to pay the extra $20 from time to time.

tomdavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2011
Houston TX
The shop is very nice and has been a main stay in Houston for many years. I live here and have bought more than one pipe there. The Sav Autograph is the nicest, most recetly a Nording Churchwarden, a solid block Meer, and ...
Portascat is right that it is in a nice location very close to those destinations he cited. There is also upper end restaurants, a great NY type sandwich shop and a french coffee shop less than two blocks away. My wife and I go there for an afternoon stroll and shopping but I always hit the pipe shoppe first so I have a least a few bucks to spend. There are many nice boutiques for her.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Very nice store! Never been to Houston, but upon seeing these photos I might have to end up making the trip. :)

johninkc

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2012
For about 10 years I had a job that brought me to Houston, and the Medical Center District, every month. This was and is a tremendous shop. It looks like very little indeed has changed, which is a very good thing. If you live anywhere near Houston, it's worth the trip!

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Every time I go to Houston, I plan to go visit, and something always interferes with my plans. Now that I have seen these pictures, must go. Thanks!

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
Lets heat it for Houston pipe smokers. Don't forget the monthly pipe club meeting at Serious Cigars on Richmond this Friday starting at 6:30-ish (open to all, no charge!)

bigmike

Apr 24, 2012
How far is the shop from the airport?
I have a layover of about 2 1/2 hours there in Sept. Maybe I could grab a cab over there...............

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
I love that place very welcoming, and run by some lovely ladies. You can sit and smoke for a while. Its a wonderful place. I bought my wifes pipe there and my fullbent meer there.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
This is not a hyjack, but a hold on a bleeding minute. There is a pipe club near Houston? What is the title and why didn't I know? Where are they meeting friday?

Status
Not open for further replies.