The BILTMORE: What Information and Ads Are There?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonmazzy

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2017
I have looked up this brand several times but there seems to be little known about "THE BILTMORE" pipes. It does seem that there are two nomenclatures those being "The Biltmore" and "Biltmore". Pipedia claims these were part of the National Briar Pipe Co. brand out of New Jersey but other than that has no information. They have one sample of a biltmore and it shows a cursive script the Biltmore made in London England, and the stem has a red dot.
I have found a couple ads that mention these pipes, the earliest being from a June 1943 Popular Mechanics issue and the latest ad was in 1946 (there is another ad dating 1945). In the 1943 ad the shown pipe features a metal band with 3 black lines and two dots on the stem. Under the picture the words: BLUE RIBBON "BILTMORE" $3.50, proudly stands out in bold and enlarged font. This ad is in black and white but having an unsmoked excellent example I know the band is gold color with 3 enamel lines and the two dots are a gold lacquer. The ad describes 3 price tiers: natural grain in the $1.50 or $3.50 ($3.50 is known as the blue ribbon) and a $2.50 natural virgin briar. There were 18 shapes offered at each of the price points and claim to be made of century old american burl. https://books.google.com/books?id=bNYDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA172&lpg=PA172&dq=biltmore+pipe+co,+220+fifth+ave&source=bl&ots=H0DNId2_ea&sig=7vw8Nb9VDU7PprE-MsAg5NqEDU8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj9voyWibfVAhUD24MKHedPC7kQ6AEIJjAA#v=onepage&q=biltmore%20pipe%20co%2C%20220%20fifth%20ave&f=false
Now, in the 1946 ad the pipes are in full color and feature a sterling silver band and now feature several new price points to match certain grain quality. These pipes also claim to be made from the choicest imported briar. https://books.google.com/books?id=cOEDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA252&lpg=PA252&dq=blue+ribbon+pipes+%22the+biltmore&source=bl&ots=B660gtLQJw&sig=uzhvJ_kiOohlcZaBg32nFHxRbqU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwitjsGyg7fVAhUCJiYKHcPJCMwQ6AEIJjAA#v=onepage&q=blue%20ribbon%20pipes%20%22the%20biltmore&f=false
In the June 1945 ad that I found in this thread: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/1940s-ads-pt-2-pic-heavy

the pipe still features the original dots but may have a solid colored metal band. The ad is marketed to the family and friends of wartime soldiers and is known as the Biltmore blue ribbon pipe still made of century old american briar and for additional money can be bumped up to imported Algerian Briar at the 5, 7.50, and 10 dollar levels.
In all the ads they continue to use the biltmore pipe co, 220 fifth ave, NY NY address. In all the Ads and the pipe I have the stamp is all capital block letters: THE BILTMORE BLUE RIBBON
So now I come to you for

A: more information about and pictures of these pipes (original manufacturing dates or did they just show up by magic in June of 43, were they sold to National or were they always National, anyone own them before... etc.) and

B:to clarify who says and how we know they were by National Pipe in New Jersey. When I look up ads from National Briar Pipe Co. even with some other brands they made they have a New Jersey address. Also, I see the only example they have on pipedia says made in england and has a red dot, neither which are from any of the ads I have ever seen on these pipes.
I really want to post pictures of mine but apparently photobucket and this place don't get along. I will post some somehow soon. I really want to show you what they looked like in all their glory and confirm some dates.

jasonmazzy

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2017
It is my understanding the ones you posted are a different brand of Biltmore. Perhaps I am wrong. Here are my pictures.
20170801_210308.jpg

20170801_210332.jpg

20170801_210355.jpg

20170801_210448.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Out of curiosity, does your pipe have any kind of stinger, or just a regular push tenon?
edit. didn't see the added pics.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
A pipe I bought a while back, marked Biltmore Reserve, and Genuine Imported Briar. The latter generally makes me think of pipes made in the US, the band however, is marked with the Birmingham assay marks for 1943. Of course there was a war going on...
biltstinger-002-600x450.jpg

bilt2-600x337.jpg

biltfin2-009-600x450.jpg

And the 1969 RTDA catalogue,
1969-rtda-catalogue-423x600.jpg

jasonmazzy

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2017
that's quite a bit later compared to the 1940 catalogs. I am curious when and how the company was acquired?
As far as my own pipe goes I would have to date it as somewhere around the first ad I posted.There are no transitional changes and definitely predates the 1946 silver band era. I cannot find any flaws or fills and I enjoy the directional grain.

jasonmazzy

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2017
That is very curious as what I can find is the silver band began in 1946 as well as the name. there was no "reserve" nomenclature prior.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That stinger in the original post is the most elaborate I've seen. As I've commented before, this was when pipe manufacture was a high profit industry and stingers were part of the competition to convince customers that they couldn't live without your brand of pipe, with its distinctive stinger. Though stingers don't improve the experience for me, neither is the one stinger I use (a Kaywoodie Drinkless) a problem. I just avoid them because it's one more step in cleaning a pipe. 'Looks like this one might even pass a pipe cleaner, though it would still require more regular cleaning, I'd say.

jasonmazzy

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2017
I am inclined to agree with you sir. When I saw the stinger was a complete machined and hollow ground piece of aluminum I was impressed. I am really tempted to get the band tested as I have had the pipe 5 years or so and it was in a box of unused pipes for decades and there is no hint of tarnish. I'm curious if it is 12k gold with black enamel.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
As usual this catches me out of town, but here's what I know more or less off the top of my head. The Biltmore Pipe Company opened in April of 1943. It maintained an office at 220 5th Avenue in Manhattan and a factory at 204 Newport Street in Brooklyn. The founder was Herbert Gall (1910-1976), who had previously been working as a salesman to the trade for a pipe manufacturer.
The chief models in the forties and early fifties included the Biltmore Superb ($1.50); the Biltmore Deluxe ($2.50); the Biltmore Blue Ribbon ($3.50); the Biltmore Reserve ($5.00); the Biltmore Executive ($7.50); and the Biltmore Golden Crest ($10.00).
I've got to head out to a business dinner but will try to post more when I can.
Rgds,

Jon

jasonmazzy

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2017
Awesome, Thank you John. From what ads and small catalogs I can find only the first 3 price-points were offered in 1943. it wasn't until 1945 that I found a mention of a special imported briar for an additional fee and it wasn't until a 1946 advertisement that the Biltmore Reserve-the Biltmore Executive-the Biltmore Golden Crest nomenclature was used.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
This thread reminded me that I had purchased an estate The Biltmore Blue Ribbon bulldog briar several years ago, but found it disappointing and so consigned it to my "trade goods" bag where it has resided until today. I pulled it out, gave it a light cleaning, and filled it with a load from my leftovers jar.
I was prepared to again be nonplussed, but it surprised me with an enjoyable dry smoke! What changed in the intervening years, the pipe or me or both? I cannot answer that question; however, I know that it will not be rejoining the outcasts in the bag anytime soon.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"I am really tempted to get the band tested as I have had the pipe 5 years or so and it was in a box of unused pipes for decades and there is no hint of tarnish. I'm curious if it is 12k gold with black enamel."
My estate Blue Ribbon pipe has an identical band, and the gold color is wearing off in spots revealing silver-colored metal beneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.