PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
Greetings all,
I just received this email from the IPCPR (RTDA). It doesn't look good for pipe tobacco and cigars.
Once Again, the FDA Announces Their Intent to Issue Regulations on Cigars/Pipe Tobacco
IPCPR recently learned of an announcement by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration on the Federal Business Opportunities website (www.fbo.gov). On that site, the FDA states they intend to issue a "deeming regulation" during summer 2012 to cover other tobacco products. This statement by the FDA was included as a part of a solicitation announcement in which the agency is seeking a contractor to identify a list of all tobacco product advertisements in the United States. We found it interesting that this was never mentioned in any of the routine updates from the Center for Tobacco Products or other FDA reports.
Specifically, in the "Background" section of the solicitation announcement, the FDA states as follows:
"On June 22, 2009, the President signed the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act (Tobacco Control Act) into law (Public Law 111-31). The Tobacco Control Act amended the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (Act) and granted the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) authority to regulate the manufacture, marketing, and distribution of tobacco products. Currently, FDA regulates the following tobacco products: cigarettes, cigarette tobacco, roll-your-own tobacco, and smokeless tobacco. See Section 901(b) of the Act.
The Act allows FDA to issue regulations asserting jurisdiction over other tobacco products, such as cigars, cigarillos, e-cigarettes, and hookahs, among others. FDA expects to issue a deeming regulation in summer 2012 to cover other tobacco products."
A deeming regulation is a proposed regulation that would include products meeting the definition of a "tobacco product" under the Tobacco Control Act to be subject to the FDA's jurisdiction. The Tobacco Control Act defines a "tobacco product" as meaning "any product made or derived from tobacco that is intended for human consumption, including any component, part, or accessory of a tobacco product (except for raw materials other than tobacco used in manufacturing a component, part, or accessory of a tobacco product)."
This means the FDA plans to issue sometime this summer a proposed regulation covering other tobacco products such as cigars, cigarillos, e-cigarettes, hookahs and possibly other tobacco products. The extent of the proposed regulation is not currently known, but the law requires it be published in the Federal Register when released by the FDA's Center for Tobacco Products.
Like I've said before, start cellaring your favorites. NOW!
No cheers,
CACooper

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
Truly infuriating, but if worst comes to worst I'll just pay $30 for a tin locally. I'm almost hoping for prohibition, because then smokers will have to stop whining and start doing.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Well, hopefully Kevin cangetsome info on this stuff. In the meantime,I have been loading my cellar. I am quite fond of a couple of aromatics, and those maybe the first to go.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
rigmedic1,
You are correct! Where were all you guys when the "Act" was proposed, open for "Public Opinion", passed into Law and "Implemented"? We are faced with the very real "PROBABILITY" that there will be no more aromatics allowed in pipe tobacco other than "Menthol". Who smokes menthol pipe tobacco? This is what you end up with as a result of the "Public" not being involved during critical Legislation! I give it four years and our favorite blends will no longer be available (according to Craig Tarler of C&D)! And that was what he said two years ago! "Apathy" is totally responsible for what you and I have to deal with going into the future. We are in deep trouble. The FDA (Federal Drg Administration) is now in charge of tobacco. It is very sad and I am sorry to report that you can only blame the current Democratic Administration. I am so sorry for introducing the Political element. It is not my intent to be "Political". But, in the interest of education for our Members of this Forum, it was Politically expedient and popular for our current Administration to sign this Law into effect. So, now we have to live with it. Personally, I agree with what Craig Tarler has to say. Our days as pipe smoker's are numbered! It is too late to contact your Washington Representatives. This is "old news". We are dealing with the Law as passed. Frankly, we can only hope that the wheel of Government Implementation does turn slower than the initial schedule of implementation.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
It's the old " when they came for me there was no one left to stand up for me".

knightmare

Lurker
Apr 10, 2012
Why should parents have to be the ones to enforce anti-tobacco policies within their own homes? Obviously the government should step in.
(Language Warning: George Carlin on Kids)

http://youtu.be/Jo2Y4PzTCOc?t=5m14s

beewrangler2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2012
And this precisely why, I began an extensive cellaring regime for the past 10 years. At first it was for the economics, but once they outlawed smoking in bars and resturaunts here, I began doing it out of what I figure is going to be necessity. I have signed about every petition that has come around and written to my reps, but like captainbob states we are dealing with the law as passed. On the bright side, if the zombies get here before I can puff through my stash lets just hope they like their blends with high vitamin N content. On the downside, its not looking good for those 20 cans of freeze dried food taking up valuable cellaring space. :rofl:

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
beewrangler2,
COPY THAT! You are on the right track. Thank you!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ya, I guess it is time to stock up. 4noggins is gonna love me! Everything is going to be ordered in minimum of 8oz bags. Spoke to the Wife tonite on this and can you believe she said "Fill er up". Now I am scared witless. I can feel a huge shoe and purse shopping spree coming on.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
At some point all tobacco will go under ground and the whole industry will be in the hands of gangsters just like booze was during prohibition.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
Yes, Prohibition is exactly what I think we will experience. I simply can't explain in a post what I know after hours of conversation with Craig Tarler and my own study since the F.T.C.A. passage. When I was on my-pipes.net before they closed down, I devoted countless hours to this issue and followed it every step of the way. Yes, I wrote my Representatives. It was a conplete waste of time. I also responded to the "Public Input Period" during the "Implementation Phase". But, I was out-numbered by the Anti-Smokers. It did absolutely no good at all. It was a huge waste of time on my part. But, I did what I could and felt very "alone". You see, one of America's biggest problems is "apathy". Our fellow Americans's don't do anything when needed. They respond when it is just too late. At least that is the way I see this issue when it comes to Tobacco. It is a travesty of destruction to American Freedom's! No, I do not want to encourage ciggarettte smoking, esecially for the under-age. But, as a result of this "Act" we adults, will lose our right to smoke a pipe if we want to.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Well, I did what I could. I wrote my representatives, signed petitions, and all that, but it's like usual, they do what those with the most money to pay want.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
The pursuit of happiness unalienable right my ...... and tobacco is not all they are going after . When the tower of corrupt excrement topples may it suffocate those who were so wise to build it and save us all .

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
Apathy is a problem I've only seen get worse. Folks get to where they think, there's nothing they can do and basically become "Sheeple." A state special interest groups and politicians love. Three things I cellar (my wife says hoard), alcohol, tobacco, and firearms/ammo. When will I stop.....when I can't buy anymore. More and more we are becoming a "nanny state" and don't have as much freedom as we think we do anymore.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Captainbob, apathy is a big part of the issue, but the other part is divide and conquer. The initial law was portrayed as against ciggereettes, and hey those are bad, and we are doing this to protect the children, if you're against that you're against children. The death by a million cuts. It's not the first time the antis have used this, let's ban assault rifles they are bad no one needs them, it's to protect the children.
You need rights to protect the least appealing things, because popular and appealing things simply don't need them to survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.