The beginning of the end for the mobile craze?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/12/the-app-ocalypse-can-web-standards-make-mobile-apps-obsolete/
Someone finally noticed that we're using a 1970s model by having an app for everything, and the success of the web was that such silliness was not required.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I most often use the www browser instead of the mobile version anyway. Never saw the need for them much. Zoom in people!
I do grab some free game apps for those dull moments at work waiting on some QC to check what a foreman used to do. Some of these new ideas are simply ridiculous. And don't get me started on seat belt fines that's lobbyist paid by insurance companies to ...nevermind

mvmadore

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2015
Northern NY
From what I read the article is about apps rather than mobile devices.

I'm 60 and like my iphone 6+ and the apps I have installed. I find them useful and informative. They are fast and easy to access...much more so than going through a web browser.
I've been an Android system user and ios user and while I prefer ios/iphone I have no problems with the Androids. I just prefer iTunes and until there is a compatible/better system than iTunes I'll stick with Apple.
I don't have 100 apps, most I never use. I have maybe 21 apps and of those I use probably 6 of them all the time.
I don't see mobile device use decreasing, quite the opposite. I see it expanding to the point where it may be possible/probable that most people won't have "computers", instead they will rely on the mobile or pad type device for all the computing/internet/etc. needs.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
From what I read the article is about apps rather than mobile devices.
May I direct your attention to the lede:
It's the apps. The iPhone and Android conquered the world because of the apps. More specifically, what keeps Android and iOS dominant is the utter lack of those apps on competing platforms.
Note the following line:
In fact, it's easy to envision an excellent, software-rich mobile device that uses the Web instead of apps.
That's the synopsis of the article and its thesis. It helps if you know in advance that Android and iOS are mobile operating systems :)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Nearing 70 and I have become a bit dependent on my smart phone. Weather reports, tide tables, "The Photographer Ephemeris", maps, clinometer, depth of field, camera manuals, currency, GPS and a heck of lot more allow me to travel lighter. My vehicle is no longer crowded with manuals, charts, etc. Everything on the phone is up to date information.
As long as I can access certain satellites I'm good. Sometimes the mountains get in the way and I'm left what's between my ears but, all and all the phone, iPad and the like are positives for me. I can even charge, slowly it is true, batteries in the field (solar).

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It's important to separate the physical device from the software on it.
http://apple.slashdot.org/story/15/12/31/209208/apple-faces-5-million-lawsuit-over-allegedly-slowing-the-iphone-4s-with-ios-9
I love the form factor. If someone had told me when I was a kid that I'd be carrying around a UNIX clone machine with 32gb of RAM and a 2.4ghz processor, I would have told them that was science fiction. And yet, during its "burn" phase, technology advances exponentially.

Status
Not open for further replies.