PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

illicitdreams

Might Stick Around
Oct 24, 2010
So to bring those of you up to speed that haven't seen my estate PAD purchase thread. I purchased a Estate Peterson in the 02 shape. I came to find out it's a pretty uncommon shape thanks to ChuckW and unclearthur.
Folks if you ever get into a bidding war on eBay with unclearthur, he is a worthy adversary...
Anyways back to the story, there was a knock on the door this morning, and lo and behold it was the mail man delivering my pipes.
So I had said I would snap some before pictures before I started the restoration on the pipes.
First up is the Dr. Grabow:
c4622d23.jpg

dc357e6a.jpg

b6077f69.jpg

It's not too bad, a good cleaning, and a reaming and it should be ready to roll.
Now the Peterson Premier Selection style 02:
d76586d1.jpg

ab886ae9.jpg

71399db5.jpg

18395fed.jpg

As you can see it's been well used. It definately smells like the previous owner loved Half and Half...
It's gonna take a bit more work to get this one back.

bowhatchie

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 27, 2010
I love the look of the Grabow....look forward to seeing the after pix of both... Do you smoke a lot of the W.O. Larsen Signature? If so how do you rate it?

illicitdreams

Might Stick Around
Oct 24, 2010
I just picked up the Larson Signature yesterday, haven't even cracked the seal. I picked it up based on some reviews I read on here. I hope it's good, it's the most expensive tin I've purchased so far.

illicitdreams

Might Stick Around
Oct 24, 2010
Thanks guys.
I popped the stem off the Grabow, and a brand new filter popped out. That filter promptly went to the trash.

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
nice pipes, I looked at the pete myself, but I don't have the skills some of you guys do with cleaning them up.

illicitdreams

Might Stick Around
Oct 24, 2010
dd951, the Pete will be my first attempt at extensive cleaning. I'm almost afraid of messing it up. So I figure once I start it I'll take my time and be very careful.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
To take of the decades of hand grime you can use a soft nylon brush, warm water and a wee bit of dishwashing soap. I usually keep my thumb over the top of the chamber to keep any soap out. Don't soak the pipe . Use mainly the suds and give it a quick rinse when you are done followed by a thorough drying with a soft rag. If you have questions,just ask.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
Just a quickie Arthur, you say don't soak the pipe, yet in the 1896 Peterson's Catalogue (last paragraph on pg 15) it says: 'It benefits the wood to fill the Bowl with cold water for an hour or two occasionally, as the head of the pipe gets no moisture like an ordinary pipe'.
I'm not having a poke, because I've often wondered about that statement but never questioned it... until now that is. I'd welcome your opinions/experience on this.
Incidently, I have soaked my pipes under running water when I wet&dry paper the stummel, however, I do allow the pipe to dry naturally afterwards. If I really really shouldn't be doing this I need to know.
By the way, as a pipe renovator, I am seriously looking forward to seeing how you get on, especially with the Pete.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
For wet sanding I use running water as well. I was more thinking of not sticking the stummel down into a sink full of water. On occasion I have had fills in less than super quality pipes pop out when wet heavily. I may try the Peterson trick on one that won't cause me to get hysterical if it hurts it.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
That Peterson looks like it is presenting you with a formidable task.....I look forward to seeing a photo of your finished product... 8O

illicitdreams

Might Stick Around
Oct 24, 2010
I'm hoping it won't be too formidable.
I started working on the Grabow tonight it's coming along nicely. I reamed out the bowl a bit too much, so I'll have to break it back in but that's ok.

illicitdreams

Might Stick Around
Oct 24, 2010
This is true. Luckily the bowl on the Grabow is in good shape no fills or voids hiding behind the cake.

illicitdreams

Might Stick Around
Oct 24, 2010
So I figured I'd post some in between shots.
I've given both pipes a good rubdown to remove the oils, grime, and dust that's accumulated. I've given both bowls a first reaming, and cleaned the inside of the stems with Everclear. I also soaked the bowl of the Pete with an Everclear soaked papertowel.
Here are the shots of how they look now.
The Grabow:

0ea0fffe.jpg

426696e7.jpg

34beb603.jpg

The Pete:

4b4a68e2.jpg

ca2ce259.jpg

b412686e.jpg

7780f4c2.jpg

I still need to go over the bowl of the Grabow again to even the steps out, and I need to get a buffing wheel and polisher to go over the stem of the Pete.
I think they are both coming along nicely, especially for my first time.

illicitdreams

Might Stick Around
Oct 24, 2010
Quick update on the Pete... I've spent close to 4 hours so far polishing the stem of it by hand, and have managed to get it back to almost black.
77010b30.jpg

7aaab235.jpg

I still have a bit of work ahead of me yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.