PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Slow puffer

Lurker
Jul 22, 2021
I know this has been hashed and rehashed but would like to put in my 2 cents worth, For a long time when i first began pipe smoking I was basically smoking matches. Finally a very wise old smoker took me under his wing and corrected my mistakes. He had me smoke a bowl in his presents and explain what I was doing wrong. Fill your pipe fairly loosely and light evenly. That is the false light. Let it go out and then tamp lightly and light again. As the tobacco burns down very lightly tamp. Continue this now and then to the bottom of the bowl. Always smoke to the bottom in order to form a good cake in the heel. I'm sure many of you already know this but thought I would pass it on for some of the newer smokers. Forgive me for noy making paragraphs.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I know this has been hashed and rehashed but would like to put in my 2 cents worth, For a long time when i first began pipe smoking I was basically smoking matches. Finally a very wise old smoker took me under his wing and corrected my mistakes. He had me smoke a bowl in his presents and explain what I was doing wrong. Fill your pipe fairly loosely and light evenly. That is the false light. Let it go out and then tamp lightly and light again. As the tobacco burns down very lightly tamp. Continue this now and then to the bottom of the bowl. Always smoke to the bottom in order to form a good cake in the heel. I'm sure many of you already know this but thought I would pass it on for some of the newer smokers. Forgive me for noy making paragraphs.
I find you can tell it's time to tamp when the pipe starts getting weak. I don't know if that makes sense. But tamping went from what I did on relights through probably over doing it and missing the mark and having to think it out unto where now it is reflexive.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I am often not paying enough attention and do let the pipe go out but it works if you catch it in time. If not, there is no harm in a relight. You are right on the mark, pack lightly and don’t tamp or light too aggressively and you will enjoy your tobacco more.

Reactions: anotherbob