PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
So I was waiting to receive this pipe and not have a reason to return it (in the event it would be reposted for sale) before I posted this... I saw this Alpha Citation pipe and thought it was a cool shape and had some cool history. Anyways, I picked my max price like I always do and bid $90.00. However, I was a passenger in my vehicle when I was bidding and I accidentally threw a max bid of $900.00. For the last few seconds I was hoping it did not go too far from my intended bid of 90 bucks. I was relieved to have won the pipe at a decent price but a little over my intended max bid.

The moral of the story is to watch your thumbs when you are bidding and think about how badly you want a certain pipe. Are you willing to pay $900 for one?

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
In a similar vein. When bidding on Ebay in Europe be aware that some countries use commas and periods reverse to how Americans use them (but not Ireland and UK). For example, nine Euro and one cent looks like 9,01 in much of Europe. If you type 9.01 you would potentially be bidding nine thousand and ten Euro.

Last edited:

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
In a similar vein. When bidding on Ebay in Europe be aware that how some countries use commas and periods is reverse to how Americans use them (but not Ireland and UK). For example, nine Euro and one cent looks like 9,01 in much of Europe. If you type 9.01 you would potentially be bidding nine thousand and ten Euro.
Yikes! I am going to hold off on buying any more pipes for a while but will keep that in mind for future bids.

Reactions: bnichols23

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
$90 is a sweet spot with pipe buying for me. Much more than that and it starts to hurt my wallet a little too much. Much lower than $90 depending on the brand and condition could leave me with a pipe I don't enjoy smoking as much. I hope to find a pipe I'm in love with enough to spend $900 dollars on one day but currently I think I'd rather spend that kind of cash on a guitar.

Glad your auction turned out well for you! I've never seen a pipe like that one, looks like an Oom Paul and a Dublin love-child. Definitely unique, I hope you enjoy it!

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Milehigh, congratulations that’s a beautiful pipe. It was on my watch list. I like my Alpha’s. That one looks really funky cool and in excellent condition.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Good post. I've thoughtlessly put my max bid a t less than I intended to and lost bids before but I'd never thought about accidentally over bidding. I'll have to be more careful.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Good post. I've thoughtlessly put my max bid a t less than I intended to and lost bids before but I'd never thought about accidentally over bidding. I'll have to be more careful.

I've done it by axledent too on occasion; fortunately I've never got bitten, but....

One time I meant to bid $50US & the cat jounced me to 500. Thankfully I didn't get it -- some fool who actually bid higher than that did! The pipe? Garden variety pre-Cadogan Comoy Pebble Grain. Definitely not worth what the poor guy paid for it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.