PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I noticed one of the promotional screens at the Iwan Ries home page is a $23.50 pipe. I have a whole range of pipes in terms of price, so this is not of interest to me, but how about a new pipe smoker who has a few cobs and/or flea market briars and wants another pipe for rotation. Smoking pipes, Pipes and Cigars, and others offer good lower end pipes, either low-end econo-pipes in regular brands, discounts on brand names, or factory pipes in the lower end of the market. I'd take a chance on the Iwan Ries or other major online pipe retailers because, as with house pipes, they want to sell their clients pipes that will smoke well and bring them back for tobacco and other pipes, probably higher priced. Dr. Grabow makes a range of pipes in the $30 to $50 range that are classic traditional shapes and good smokers, and have that grand old American factory pipe look that our grandfathers (and great grandfathers and some of our founding mothers too) so enjoyed. So, aspire to fine pipes, and add the medium priced when you can, but don't be afraid of the $23.50 pipe if it suits your budget. You can learn smoking technique and have some fine times with the basic equipment. As one of our venerable members said, pipe smoking is 25% equipment and 75% technique.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
While I am certain that some very inexpensive briars are excellent smokers, I direct new pipe smokers to a Missouri Meerschaum. You never have to worry that the draw will be tight on a cob, they require no breaking-in, and are even less costly than a basket briar. The main downside is that they don’t have the aesthetic that some new pipers are seeking.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
warren, if I know Iwan Ries, they'll see you coming and break out the artisan pipes to block your view of the basket pipes. Seriously, I'd be interested to hear your take. I'm sure they're not inspiring, but suspect they are entirely sufficient. Let me know.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
MSO.. you are right. Some of my "Baskets" were better than a couple of my $100+ pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.