156 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
I know that the purists will scoff and say that this is a horrible practice. I also think I’ll become one of those purists eventually. BUT. I know I’m not re-inventing the wheel here. I have what I call my “parfait jar”. I know some of you do too. The last dabs of a blend that won’t quite fill a bowl get dumped in a jar. Then, just for fun every once in a while, I’ll give it a good shake and burn a bowl of it.

Anyway, having a parfait smoke now. And hot diggity dog, it ain’t bad. And I honestly can’t remember what all is in it. Anyone else get a little magic from their ‘parfait jar’ now and then?

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Started off with some Sutliff 707 sweet Virginia, added some Sutliff Perique and was smoking that and it was good. Had some leftover C&D Burley Ribbon Cut and the leftovers from rubbing out some Irish flake which went into the jar……damn it was good!

Reactions: AcesAndEights
Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
My jar started cuz I needed the jars!! Couldn’t find canning jars to save my life six months ago, and I ordered some bulks that I wanted to stash away. So I dumped three together that only had a bit left in each. Kept adding to it. Wasn’t sure what to expect, but it’s pretty stinking good!!

Reactions: kurtbob

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I have one for Virginias. I call it Infinity Virginia after "infinity bottles". I haven't added any in a while because I've gotten pretty good at estimating what I need to fill a bowl. It has a little bit of everything in it. McClelland, Mac Baren, Sam Gawith, G.L. Pease. Last bowl I smoked out of it was incredible. I wouldn't want to do this with a variety of different components, but as long as only high quality VA's and VaPer's are going in, I don't really see how I can miss.

Reactions: romaso and kurtbob
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Vendors sell mixed bags of various tobacco at an honest price, such as Best of the Rest and Grand Croupier. They even separate the English from the aromatics.

If interested, a forum sponsor currently has a sale on Best of the Rest. While I haven't purchased it yet, it's under consideration just to have on hand.

Some may scoff at the concept as being floor sweepings. However, I like the idea of using bulk scraps. It's efficient and from quality products.

For just under $1 an ounce, you can't really go wrong. After all, I've spent more on a bad date.

Reactions: kurtbob

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Typically I just top off the next bowl that will burn the blend of same genre. Don't care to set aside perfectly usable mason jar for a mutt blend.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I’ve only done this once. I’ve a full Ball pint jar of McClellands Virginias remnants …some #27, #24, Red Flake, Red&Black, Blackwoods, Darkstar, etc. Been sitting waiting for me to see what kind of Frankenstein stuff it turns out to be. ?☕

Reactions: LotusEater

Dublin Old Man

Might Stick Around
Aug 22, 2020
Dublin, Ohio
I like to mix blends but in known quantities. I never have a random mixture.

What if you love your current random mixture? You'll never be able to make it again because you won't know the quantities and possibly not remember the types of tobacco.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
It's an ever-changing mixture (mine's labelled the Odds of the Ends jar), every time you add in some, it changes; every time you take out a bowlful to smoke, it changes.

Don't be surprised when it surprises you!

Reactions: warren
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
The little amount of dregs that don’t equal up to a smokeable bowl I’d always mostly made up of shake and crumbs. I couldn’t imagine an entire jar the worst remnants of a tin from a cut perspective.

Do these jars not turn into just larger quantities of near dust from the bottoms of tins?

Reactions: jpmcwjr